Discuss Multifunction testers, best ones around?? what do you use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well, electricians are normally using either Fluke or Megger. I personally decided to go out of this vogue and both Alphatec Metrel Eurotest AT.
So far so good. Does everything for me. Do not suffer Fluke’s annoying lead blues. Also, I have one additional accessory called Easyswith that gives me the R1+R2 value strait away. Still haven’t used the auto-sequence feature so I can’t comment on that!

Well, electricians are normally using either Fluke or Megger. I personally decided to go out of this vogue and both Alphatec Metrel Eurotest AT.
So far so good. Does everything for me. Do not suffer Fluke’s annoying lead blues. Also, I have one additional accessory called Easyswith that gives me the R1+R2 value strait away. Still haven’t used the auto-sequence feature so I can’t comment on that!
Simon what kind of money would i have to spend to get either of these meters

Somewhere else on the site a poster posted (as they are want to do) that they picked up a 1653 brand new for £530 on ebay. i paid a lot more than that for mine and I still consider it to be good value. I find that the comfy strap and the curved back very useful if you're going to be using it for any period of time eg an 8 way CU. You can also drop them from 2 metres with no ill effects.

I use the Megger MFT1552 which I really like. Some good features. I like the Auto Rcd and No trip loop features. :)

Good all round tester and a sure favourite. Although there is now a Megger MFT1553 out which you can use with bluetooth.

I was toying with a Kewtech KT64 which had just come out and there was some good deals on it. One feature it did have that I like was all the RCD readings on one screen as oppose to the Megger where you scroll back for the readings.

Simon what kind of money would i have to spend to get either of these meters
Eurotest AT currently is the most expensive multi tester on the market. (£850 including VAT from Instrument Sales and Services) I personally love the ease of use features. Also used Flukes and Megger and honestly I can’t say anything bad about them.
The pricey Eurotest AT is based upon the auto-sequence feature that I have not yet used – shame! Just do not have time to set it up.
Avoid Di-Log no mater what the manufacturers are saying for it. When measuring continuity it gives you a warning of over 400 volts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im after some advice.

I've got the Metrel Instaltest 61557 Multifunction tester. http://www.metrel.si/products/electrical-installations-safety/multifunction-testers-eurotest-family/mi-2087-instaltest-61557.html

I have been looking at getting the megger 1552 tester.. But i dont know what the difference's are between the 2 testers. Can one of these testers test more than the other? does one have more functions??

Am i better off just keeping my Metrel tester?

The photo i have attached is a list of what the metrel 61557 is capable of.. maybe you could compare this to your megger 1552 and let me know the difference??

Cheers all

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just found this spec list on the test4less website on the..

metrel 61557.......

14 in 1 "All In One Tester"
Will not trip any RCDs on Loop Test
Complete with Instalink PC Software
Stores and Downloads 1000 Results
Optional Tap It Software
Voltage Safe on all ranges
Complete with Test leads & Carry Bag Tests Carried Out:
Insulation Test 50-1000V in 10V steps
Continuity Test @ 200mA, R1 & R2
Continuity Test @ < 7mA for fault finding
RCD Auto Test only one visit to
RCD whilst all 6 Tests are carried out
RCD Ramp Test
RCD Contact Voltage Test
RCD x 1/2 x 1 x 5, 0 Deg - 180 Deg
Loop Test ZE/ZS PE 110, 240, 415V
PSC Test, Automatic, PE and PN
'TripLock' prevents RCDs tripping when carrying out Loop Test
Polarity Test
Light / Lux Test (Optional)
Locator Test (Optional)
Voltage / Frequency Test

The price difference on the megger 1552 and the metrel 61557 is £15, so i wouldnt of thought they would be much in it...

So... The megger or metrel ??

Attachments

• Multifunction testers, best ones around?? what do you use? Metrel 61557 Spec - EletriciansForums.net
    Metrel 61557 Spec.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 140
I have a kewtech kt61 not the best but cheap and small does all the part p tests and 17th ed compliant only thing is doesnt do pfc so need to cal easy enuf and only has a fixed 500v insulation resistance test voltage so no selv/pelv but at £350 in screwfix its cheap as chips and i have seen it for £287 !
If you can put up with these 2 inconv then its a good multi. kt64 seems good.
almost forgot doesnt have trip lock.

Been using the di-log 9083P for the past 6 months and have never had a problem with it.Carries out all the necessary tests.
Never had 400v warning on any continuity tests

MFT 1552 for me.:cool:

This is what im looking at MFT 1552, I just need someone to compare this unit with what ive previously wrote about my metrel tester.. Can someone compare the 2 for me as i dont know the full functions of the megger tester 1552

Hey.

I've heard the new Fluke multifunction 1650 "B" series are way overpriced. Apparently all the snags from the old modesl have been ironed out - we'll just have to wait and see.

Looking at the spec for the Metrel it seems that it has more features than the megger.

I have used a few Robins, however, RCD trips when testing internal Loop. Not always but it does it often enough to annoy you. The Kewtech does it too.
The Megger is nice although a lot less features then Metrel Eurotest AT - cheaper too. If you want to spend less go for the Megger, if you want the best go for the Eurotest AT.

It sometimes helps is, after the first trip you reset and test again.

The only problem i find with the 'no trip' tests on the meggers etc, is that it takes an age to carry out the test.

I have done alot of research and after many of months i now had brought a Megger MFT 1553 with powersuite onsite...great machine ....if anyone into saving time at the end of the day backup all the test on PC very handy..!!!

I paid £677.35 at iswww.co.uk.......much cheaper than fluke !!!

My mate go tthe fluke 1653...he said alway give him trouble....if take second read at the same test tend to given different reading....then he change for megger working fine ever since......hope this would help you guys..!!!!

If anyone got the fluke 1653B I would like your feedback...???

Hi, we had separates then moved on to the robin 1610 , them we got a Eurotest and install test these did the job, then in a moment of weakness I brought two KT64’s very happy with these got a top deal from my local wholesaler.
When I was buying them one of the Directors from Kewtech came through the door of the wholesalers ( a guy called Chris ) got stacks of stuff free 2 x full sets of lightmates, 2 x voltage indicators Kew1700 and a proving unit all for less than £500.00 each. I’ve just got the FC1000 check box and we are very impressed with that so for me price, ease of use, Kewtech is tops.:)
support your local wholesaler and ask them for extra discount and free stuff, if you don’t ask you don’t get.:)

I do extensive New biuld and Periodic testing and for the last five years have used a Fluke with Megger test leads. A nice feature with Fluke is i keep all my stickers and hand tools in the tool tray built into the box, which is also a good seat to sit on.I dislike what I have seen of the Robin Lego boxes which are clumsy to use and have weak lids. But use what works for you

Reply to Multifunction testers, best ones around?? what do you use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock