Discuss Multimeter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dilwyn

DIY
Reaction score
I’m thinking. of buying a. Multimeter say middle of the road not to cheap always messing about with different things or maybe you guys would have one to sell or would you not recommend that what’s your views cheers

The cost of meters range from £6 to £2000.
What would you expect the multimeter to be able to do? What do you want to measure? And for what purpose.

There's a difference between being able to simply test voltage on and off through to fully being able to test that an installation complies with BS7671 with the required accuracy so that the test results can be noted on an installation certificate.

if you want something versatile and cheap, with wveform display, i suggest this.think i paid around £50 for mine.

Attachments

• Multimeter scope - EletriciansForums.net
    scope.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 15
Completely depends what you want it for, most basic multimeters do the same things
Then the next level up would be a MFT to do more in-depth testing

I always like fluke as a brand, but have had a good uni-t one before and they are very well priced. I always pay attention to things like how long the probs are that come with it and how long the screen backlight stays on, and if it makes to many annoying beeps. Very annoying when you are in a dim place with limited access and the stupid backlight keeps turning off

Completely depends what you want it for, most basic multimeters do the same things
Then the next level up would be a MFT to do more in-depth testing

I always like fluke as a brand, but have had a good uni-t one before and they are very well priced. I always pay attention to things like how long the probs are that come with it and how long the screen backlight stays on, and if it makes to many annoying beeps. Very annoying when you are in a dim place with limited access and the stupid backlight keeps turning off
Makes sense I would not want to be doing on depth testing I’m not that good what would be next step up from basic
[automerge]1586705373[/automerge]
Makes sense don’t want in depth. Testing looked on eBay some of them are quite expensive especially fluke. Depending on model or number any members got any for sale just a thought

Last edited:
Makes sense I would not want to be doing on depth testing I’m not that good what would be next step up from basic
[automerge]1586705373[/automerge]
Makes sense don’t want in depth. Testing looked on eBay some of them are quite expensive especially fluke. Depending on model or number any members got any for sale just a thought

Next step up from a basic meter might be one which also includes a clamp meter for measuring AC current

But almost all meters out there will do AC & DC voltage, Continuity, current etc something like this would probably do:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ranging-Multi-Purpose-Handheld-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B01M0UXSXI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=uni-t%2Bmultimeter&link_code=qs&qid=1586705460&sr=8-5&th=1

If your thinking of going anywhere near mains electricity you need something that's G38 approved, cheap multimeters may have a 250V scale but should not be used on mains wiring. Usually all you need to do is measure voltage and check continuity for this I would recommend something like a fluke T150. Simple to use and safe for mains work.

My Fluke T150 is left in the case and the Testo 760 comes out instead, easier to use and easier to read.

Don't buy cheap crap that is not at least CAT-III 300V rated or above. Otherwise you have a real danger when testing high energy circuits (e.g. mains supply).

You can get that sort of rating for significantly under £100 (just now there is a good deal to be had on the Testo 760-1 on test-meter.co.uk)

If looking at a clamp-on ammeter I would also checkand pay a little extra for one that goes down to mA so you can use it to check for leakage current for RCD tripping (i.e. clamp both L & N so you measure the residue, just like a RCD).

Reply to Multimeter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock