Discuss Multimeters, in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest22

Hey guys, im looking at multi meters, we use flukes at work! My job is tools supplied but, Im currently an apprentice so no chance of getting a multimeter till im out of my time! So i was wondering what one? They all seem to use a Fluke 80 Series V Industrial Multimeters or similar but i was wondering if anyone could point me towards a cheaper alternative would be nice for it too auto range, and possibly be a fluke, only as what we use at work, but not as important. Budget around 100

Thank you
Ethan

At present I would look for value for money products from the following budget instrument makers:- Amprobe/Robin (part of Fluke group), Alphatek/Metrel (part of Metrel Group), DiLog, Extech (part of Flir Group), Kewtech and Uni-Trend (A quality Chinese manufacturer, badged Uni-T, widely available on Fleabay, Maplin and elsewhere).
Dilog, Alphatek/Metrel, Extech, Kewtech and other meters are available with a 5% member discount from Test-Meter our forum sponsors.

By shopping around, limiting yourself to the budget brands above, you will be able to find amazing specifications within your financial limit and without sacrificing on the quality of manufacture.

When you have completed your apprenticeship and are earning more money you can get a Fluke, by that time the Fluke 80 series (already in it's 5th incarnation and showing it's age) will have been replaced by an even better model. But my guess is that you will be more than happy with what you buy now and may well feel the upgrade an unnecessary expense.

[FONT=&amp]ROBIN-AMPROBE – United Kingdom
Uni-Trend Group Limited
Extech Instruments - About Us
Di-LOG Test Equipment | |Supplier of quality electrical test equipment.
http://www.kewtechcorp.com/products/...ters/index.htm
Multimeters - Electrical Multimeters, Kewtech Multi meters, Test and Measuring Multi Meters DMMs[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
UNI Trend from Maplin, go for the UT50A model( £25 odd) ......and buy a set of Meterman Test Leads if you can from e bay....they can be difficult to find but they are good, don't buy them in a shop in the UK as they are about £70 you can get them online for £30.....failing that take a pick from the selection of probes and clips they have beside the meters in Maplins, and you can also find a Volt Alert on Ebay (volt stick / volt pen) you will need a good one of those to keep in your pocket everyday... start putting £5 or £10 a week away if you can towards a Fluke multimeter and you will be able to get a good one very soon.... such as the 280 series which is a real nice meter....

Thanks guys, really helpful, at present work has bought me Fluke T100 voltage tester and a proving unit and of course some other stuff but not, and other test equipment. I`ll have a look the 280. Like i said its tools supplied so the upgrade to a better meter shouldn`t actually cost me anything. Im having a good look at all these links just weighing them up against each other, the megger looks good tbh I`ve seen it before when i was looking last time.

Cheers for the replies guys!

Ethan

I think i might go with the megger 310, that looks like a good fluke but i would like the the option of being able to read amps. Aswell also the megger being 76 quid (with the discount) and the next closest fluke being the fluke 115 with the same specs at 140 ish.

Im still looking
Anyone used megger310?

its a lucky thing to get anything from the company these days, usually what happens is you get your tools nicked while working for a company, buy new ones to replace them, then when you leave or get pumped they try to keep them off of you... oi where you goin wi that giv it back oi oi...
getorf its mines precious tools...

go for the megger 310. that measures amps. amps are best read with a clamp meter anyway. beats getting your fingers round the probes to insert the meter in series.

Yeah i realize that but still nice to have the option. Next payday I think i will get the 310! Might try and find some reviews on youtube!

Reply to Multimeters, in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net