Discuss Multiple BT points...help.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening chaps
I’m first fixing a new build this week large high spec 4 bed house.
The builder would like multiple bt points throughout the house what’s my best way of doing this as I’ve not done a lot of it.
Should I make one the main one then daisy chain off the rest like a radial?

1st one is master, usually installed by BT. then just daisy chain slaves from there. you should not have more than 4 slaves from a master.

1st one is master, usually installed by BT. then just daisy chain slaves from there. you should not have more than 4 slaves from a master.
Hi, there is 4 in total on the plans two in front room one in main bed and one in family room, how will I know which is to be the master? Would I be installing the master one?

Hi, there is 4 in total on the plans two in front room one in main bed and one in family room, how will I know which is to be the master? Would I be installing the master one?
no the master is installed by BT, if you had read my earlier post.

no the master is installed by BT, if you had read my earlier post.
I did read your earlier post.
im assuming bt wont have installed the master by the time I arrive so how do I go about wiring the ones on the plans do I run the cables back to one I assume will be the master socket?

I did read your earlier post.
im assuming bt wont have installed the master by the time I arrive so how do I go about wiring the ones on the plans do I run the cables back to one I assume will be the master socket?
i would think so. you only need to wire pins 2 and 5. leave cable at master point and connect once master is installed.

i would think so. you only need to wire pins 2 and 5. leave cable at master point and connect once master is installed.
Ok thank you for your help. It’s only first fix stage so I’ll just be running all the cabling not connecting anything up at this stage, I’ll daisy chain from what I’ll judge as being the master maybe a front room one I suppose?
Thanks again.

You should wire 2 3 and 5 if you want the bells to ring. It is good practice to wire all six if using 3 pair cable to CW 1308.

There is no limit to the number of sockets you can wire in but the old rule was that the maximum REN of the phones plugged in should not exceed 4. REN is ringer equivalent number and used to be used when phones had 4 k ohm bells to limit the amount of current drawn from the exchange. With modern phones I do not really think it matters too much now.

Remember that you should use secondary sockets for everything except the Master which should be provided by BT or the line supplier.

A secondary socket does not have a ringing capacitor, opt out of service resistor or a lightening suppressor.

You should wire 2 3 and 5 if you want the bells to ring. It is good practice to wire all six if using 3 pair cable to CW 1308.

There is no limit to the number of sockets you can wire in but the old rule was that the maximum REN of the phones plugged in should not exceed 4. REN is ringer equivalent number and used to be used when phones had 4 k ohm bells to limit the amount of current drawn from the exchange. With modern phones I do not really think it matters too much now.

Remember that you should use secondary sockets for everything except the Master which should be provided by BT or the line supplier.

A secondary socket does not have a ringing capacitor, opt out of service resistor or a lightening suppressor.
Thank you very much. Still unsure as to how I’ll determine which of the 4 bt points on the plans will be the master if I finish first fixing and bt decide to put the master somewhere else I’ll be screwed

Thank you very much. Still unsure as to how I’ll determine which of the 4 bt points on the plans will be the master if I finish first fixing and bt decide to put the master somewhere else I’ll be screwed
You or the client should tell BT where to put the flaming Master Socket. The standard price for a new BT line does not vary with the length of cable run

BT will put the master wherever you ask them to, it makes sense to have arranged it with them beforehand to establish what is required from their point of view.
Remember BT will stop installing copper services soon in favour of fibre services.

If you don't arrange anything with BT you may find that they come in and run a surface cable around the inside of the property!
[automerge]1592773379[/automerge]
You or the client should tell BT where to put the flaming Master Socket. The standard price for a new BT line does not vary with the length of cable run

It doesn't, but the BT operatives are expected to complete a new service install in a specific time regardless of where it is being installed or how much work is involved so they tend to work as quickly as possible (and to a low standard)

BT will put the master wherever you ask them to, it makes sense to have arranged it with them beforehand to establish what is required from their point of view.
Remember BT will stop installing copper services soon in favour of fibre services.

If you don't arrange anything with BT you may find that they come in and run a surface cable around the inside of the property!
[automerge]1592773379[/automerge]

It doesn't, but the BT operatives are expected to complete a new service install in a specific time regardless of where it is being installed or how much work is involved so they tend to work as quickly as possible (and to a low standard)
Ok great thanks. I’m starting first fix tomorrow so I’ll speak to the builder and/or bt too.

If you run a radial between all the secondary’s, there’s a choice of two that can be the master.... one at each end.

kind of old fashioned having a load of phone points. I bet the homeowner ends up with DECT phones and a bunch of empty phone sockets

If you run a radial between all the secondary’s, there’s a choice of two that can be the master.... one at each end.

kind of old fashioned having a load of phone points. I bet the homeowner ends up with DECT phones and a bunch of empty phone sockets
That’s a good point about being able to use either end of the radial and I agree about it being old fashioned, it must be an old guy architect who drew the plans up.

Suggest have a look around to see how BT has installed nearby properties. Make the master say the nearest to the road. Then radial out from there. Copper is going to be around for a very long time. I have just done a similar and used Cat5 as i carry it anyway.
cheers
P&S

Suggest have a look around to see how BT has installed nearby properties. Make the master say the nearest to the road. Then radial out from there. Copper is going to be around for a very long time. I have just done a similar and used Cat5 as i carry it anyway.
cheers
P&S

'very long time' is a bit of a stretch when the current target is for the copper network to be taken out of service in between 5 and 7 years time.

Reply to Multiple BT points...help.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock