Discuss Multiple circuits in breaker approach in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tank

-
Reaction score
Doing an eicr on a landlord board, in a small 1940s block of bedsits, found a type 2, 30amp socket ring breaker with 5 x 2.5mm cables in it. I assume that 2 of the wires came from an empty adjacent 30 amp heater ring breaker that had been damaged (screwdriver busbar metal board bang) and the 5th wire, a spur maybe, or something else.

I just wanted to know how other people would approach this situation.

I looked, concluded that the conductors were inadequately identified for any tests to proceed, wrote FI the cert, and moved on. Any thoughts?

if you are "doing" an EICR you first need to establish what all the circuits are connected to (I suspect most cheap EICR's don't do this) - in this situation determining which 2 are the ring should be easy ..... but I suspect if you haven't allowed enough time then you need to C2 / FI said circuit.

As for stopping the inspection ..................... I disagree.

If any of the cables are not under rated for the protective device can't see a problem
But suppose you'd need to trace it all back to see all is ok

if you are "doing" an EICR you first need to establish what all the circuits are connected to (I suspect most cheap EICR's don't do this) - in this situation determining which 2 are the ring should be easy ..... but I suspect if you haven't allowed enough time then you need to C2 / FI said circuit.

As for stopping the inspection ..................... I disagree.

Yes, the amount of time I was allocated for the job certainly influenced my decision. To clarify, it was on to the next circuit that I moved after the FI.

Not sure I agree with that.

Our last house had a similar set up prior to a CU change from a 3036 board - 2 x rings + 1 x spur at CU. Very unlikely to overload - but when I changed the CU, I separated the 2 rings.
Nothing to do with overcurrent but the connection of five conductors.

Yes, the amount of time I was allocated for the job certainly influenced my decision. To clarify, it was on to the next circuit that I moved after the FI.
So a charge has been made for an EICR but any circuit which appears to be tricky, FI and job done.

In this situation although it is technically one circiut i would break it down to the seperate circuits they effectively are and write them out on the report, if they are connected to way 1 i would write for example
1a sockets up.....
1b sockets down..
1c heater ......
I would say it not further investigation unless its not clear what ths circuits do

The thread title saying multiple circuits in the mcb is in itself contentious
However many conductors it is one circuit

Having said that,lets be realistic,five conductors in one mcb is stretching the point
At the minimum its a alteration to an existing which has probably made the installation standard lower

I don't like the idea of further investigation and never have
For whatever reason FI is a cop out,either by the tester,the company that employs him or the shallow pockets of the client who's concern for safety could not be the main reason for the eicr

Reply to Multiple circuits in breaker approach in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock