Discuss Multiple circuits in one enclosure in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I am at a job right now to fit downlights in a bathroom (I tried to talk her out of it), and have easy access via loft above. Isolated upstairs lighting circuit. Wiring in loft is very neat, there is a Line enclosure present, all cables neatly clipped. However, on inspection I have found that inside the Line enclosure there are three different circuits, lighting, ring final and smokes. I wouldn't dream of doing this.....would you??

put the RFC in a separate enclosure. ditto with the smokes if they're not on the lighting circuit.

Nothing wrong with it.... What happens when you move a DB and mount an enclosure full of DIN rail connectors. I think the most circuits I have had in an enclosure is 30 odd.

Nothing wrong with it.... What happens when you move a DB and mount an enclosure full of DIN rail connectors. I think the most circuits I have had in an enclosure is 30 odd.
This was going to be my post,but I read yours before hitting the button :sailor:

How often on here do we read that a consumer unit is to be changed which will require extended circuits,the solution presented is an adaptable box to extend the various circuits enclosed in that junction box

but in kingeri's case, where this is in an attic, he isolates the lighting to work on that circuit and then to be safe, he needs to isolate other circuits as well. i think they need separating, even if not against regs.

Nothing "wrong" with this as such. But you should label it as requiring more than one point of isolation before opening. Put a label on the CU too.

I've seen something similar in a bungalow where the Cu had been moved out the kitchen to the hall and all the circuits needed extending. The standard of workmanship was very poor in that case.

A consumer unit is an enclosure and that has multiple circuits? I don't see a problem, if it was on different phases though I would use a 400v sticker on enclosure cover.

there' s a bit of difference here. when you open a CU, you expect multiple circuits. when you open a line enclosure in an attic, you don't.

there' s a bit of difference here. when you open a CU, you expect multiple circuits. when you open a line enclosure in an attic, you don't.

Not really, you shouldn't assume because it's enclosure that it has one circuit either. What about switches? Quite often they have multiple circuits..

but then you would not expect a RFC circuit to be in back of a light switch, would you?

I wouldn't really call it best practice to lump a lot of circuits into one JB if there's no need, bet it looks like a right birds nest in there. Not difficult to use three separate enclosures and mark them up accordingly.

my thoughts exactly. line enclosures are only a quid or so apiece, so it's a no brainer.

Thanks for the input guys. It was a Line enclosure (as in our forum sponsors). Didn't mention that the the RFC and lighting were connected in terminal blocks, and the smokes cable literally and pointlessly just passed through the enclosure! It really is bad practice in my view to have more than one circuit in a junction box/enclosure, especially when it is completely unnecessary. As Tel said, there is no comparison between such as a junction box and a CU....the CU would be totally isolated before removing the cover anyway. A JB could easily still have live parts inside even if you thought you had isolated the correct circuits. Just seems like adding an extra danger for no reason. As for labeling the JB and CU....why not just do the job right in the first place! Just my view. :bucktooth:

if you translate the red bit of my signature, it's appropriate.

Thanks for the input guys. It was a Line enclosure (as in our forum sponsors). Didn't mention that the the RFC and lighting were connected in terminal blocks, and the smokes cable literally and pointlessly just passed through the enclosure! It really is bad practice in my view to have more than one circuit in a junction box/enclosure, especially when it is completely unnecessary. As Tel said, there is no comparison between such as a junction box and a CU....the CU would be totally isolated before removing the cover anyway. A JB could easily still have live parts inside even if you thought you had isolated the correct circuits. Just seems like adding an extra danger for no reason. As for labeling the JB and CU....why not just do the job right in the first place! Just my view. :bucktooth:

Not saying that I would ever do it by choice, but as long as it had a '2 or m ore circuits present label' is it really that wrong?
wrong?

in an attic, seeing by a £3 LED head torch, itchy poo up your nose, and you'll see a label that in 10pt type. i trhink not.

Reply to Multiple circuits in one enclosure in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock