Discuss multiple distribution IR testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martinh287

Hi guys just wanting to confirm I am right in my thinking when carrying out EICR on multiple distribution circuits within a three phase board it is my responsibility to carry out the report up til the clients db only. When dead testing I only have a limited timescale for every circuit to be off usually 5 min for all rcd tests IR test and R1+r2 on mains cable. So that's the mains sorted I then when time permits would switch off all clients db boards and test the full 3 phase board at 500v and any dodgy results further investigated.

The reason for this thread is to find out before I do it in the real world is could I test l+n to earth at 250v with the clients db main switch (30ma rcd) closed and any ad normal results further tested or will I get strange results testing through the rcd

Sorry for been long winded

On an EICR you and the client set the limitations that would be acceptable to you both and that is your remit.

Knowing customers they will basically want you to turn up and write a cert out for them in 5 minutes without any switching off so you need to be quite firm sometimes in how you deal with this.

This is where experience comes in and your assessment of the installation. If the installation is pretty new and look in good condition then you can of course set less stringent limitations.

If though it's falling apart, never been touched in 50 yrs and is a rats nest then I would be setting very few limitations, and convincing the client accordingly.

We can advise you only so far, after all it is you that is standing there, looking at what you have, and it is you that is saying yea or nay to what condition the installation is in.

Sorry for not being of more help, this testing game, if done correctly can throw up many a dilemma, how much and how deep you test is one of them

Thanks for the reply limitations are agreed with respect to the amount of dead testing done to the installation based on the condition of the installation when visually inspecting.
All circuits are zs tested to confirm continuity of protective conductor, and as required all rcd are tested it is within this time when I test the rcd after it has tripped I sneak in the ir of the mains cable feeding the three phase db boards. I am hoping to blast a quick ir test on all single phase distribution circuits so I can narrow down which distribution circuit I should include in my agreed amount of dead testing based on any low readings

Reply to multiple distribution IR testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net