Discuss multiple extension leads c2? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi can any one help me been doing a lot of tests lately and found only single sockets in properties. 1 property had about 3 extension leads plugged in together running right in front of the door i put this down as a fire and trip hazard giving it a c2 am i right on this or not? thanks for your help stu

extensions arent usually considered fixed wiring thus are not coded in an inspection report.

but you can still write that the lack of proper sockets in the property is a cause for concern with the trip / fire hazards they may create.

so your assessment of the risks is correct , but no code.

As above no code. You are testing the fixed wiring not whats plugged into socket outlets.

No code as its not fixed wiring.

But you could add in a comment about the dangers of daisy chaining extension leads on the EICR

Check page 17 best practice guide 4

Inadequate number of socket-outlets. (Code C3 or, where appropriate C2, if extension leads run through doorways, walls or windows, or under carpets, or are otherwise being used in an unsafe manner)

Deff highlight it. Recent case of person dying in a fire. Cause of fire overloaded extension lead. Reported something like 14 appliances etc on one lead somehow. Sounds like your installation not suitable for todays requirements.

Deff highlight it. Recent case of person dying in a fire. Cause of fire overloaded extension lead. Reported something like 14 appliances etc on one lead somehow. Sounds like your installation not suitable for todays requirements.

I've had more than 14 items running from one 13A socket via multiple 4 gang sockets before. Not ideal I know, but the total power consumption when measured was under 13 amps. Note, I'm not saying I recommend this. And 4 way extension leads are fused - much safer than un-fused 3 way adaptors! Daz

Reply to multiple extension leads c2? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net