Discuss Multiple Exterior Lighting Circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having a brain fart...

Looked at a job today, have multiple exterior lighting circuits (4x MCB'S). Can see why there is multiple, as previous electrician was worried about cable lengths etc as the property is quite large.

But seem to have multiple Photocells and timers controlling, with outside switch for over riding specific lights.

Client doesn't like 4 photocells on side of his house, and having to reset/change times on 4 timers.

Any ideas how to incorporate these 4 circuits into one timer switch, possible PIR's and over ride switch.

I'm thinking contactors, but can't get my head to think properly on this one.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers

I would like to put them on one MCB, but we are talking possibly many hundreds of meters of cable there are quite a few lights.

I want to still comply with VD etc.

Would the best way to seperate supply the PIR, PC, Over ride SW and timer, then making sure that each lighting system has its own isolator for future protection if worked on etc.

thanks for your reply

I would like to put them on one MCB, but we are talking possibly many hundreds of meters of cable there are quite a few lights.

I want to still comply with VD etc.

Would the best way to seperate supply the PIR, PC, Over ride SW and timer, then making sure that each lighting system has its own isolator for future protection if worked on etc.

thanks for your reply
I don't see your logic with this, if all four circuits originate from the same DB then converting them to one circuit from one device will not affect the length of run or volt drop in any way.

I'd also go the 4 pole contactor route, when a fault appears you don't lose all the lights.

I don't see your logic with this, if all four circuits originate from the same DB then converting them to one circuit from one device will not affect the length of run or volt drop in any way.

I have 4 circuits all in 1.5mm SWA and some T&E. One of the circuits is approx 80 meters.

If i join these all up, i'm probably looking at 300 meters of cable.

I'm worried that if i join them all up to one MCB, although most of the circuit is LED and odd low voltage lighting, my Voltage Drop will still exceed the 3% (11.5v).

Rough calculation say i have 300m of cable, 460watts (2Amp) lamp (approx total)

1.5mm mA/A/L = 29

29x2ax300m/1000 = 17.4v (7.57%)

Unless I've taken Voltage drop out of context and misunderstood it some where, then thats what my logic is.

Thanks for your reply

Leave them as four circuits controlled by one four pole contactor and one control circuit.

I think what @radiohead is getting at is if all four single radial circuits originate at one db at present on 4 x mcbs then you’d still have 4 x radial circuits just with one mcb so the length for each circuit won’t change in regards to volt drop....or am I lost here?

Last edited:
I think what @radiohead is getting at is if all four single radial circuits originate at one db at present on 4 x mcbs then you’d still have 4 x radial circuits just with one mcb so the length for each circuit won’t change in regards to volt drop?....or am I lost here?

Hmmm,

I think i am lost too. The blue bible is not very helpful. But starting to think VD is based on longest cable run is thats what Radiohead is getting at.

So if all 4 are supplied from one MCB,

say;

Original circuit 1 = 80m
Original circuit 2 = 70m
Original circuit 3 = 60m
Original circuit 4 = 50m

All joined up with one MCB, is VD calculated from the longest 80m ?

Always thought it was from circuit in total.

But then max lengths based out of OSG give you max length for lighting i believe 88m

If i keep scratching my head, I'm going to go bald!

Volt drop would still be calculated for each radial...they’d just be protected by one device.....again that’s assuming they are all originated from the same consumer unit/distribution board?

Volt drop would still be calculated for each radial...they’d just be protected by one device.....again that’s assuming they are all originated from the same consumer unit/distribution board?
Yes all external lighting is fed from the same DB

So you’d only calculate for volt drop at the furthest point of each leg.....not add them up.....ideally though youd be better of leaving em on they own breakers and going down the contactor route....but that’s over my head ?

The contactor route is preferable, not least because as already stated you wont lose all the lights with a single fault. The point I was making on the single circuit is as stated above, the volt drop would be calculated on each separate line and the highest would apply, not all four added together. Either system could be used, conversion to a single circuit or a contactor, a contactor having the advantage.

Reply to Multiple Exterior Lighting Circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock