Discuss Multiple USB outlets in restaurant in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

streamer

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm busy rewiring a restaurant and the customer has asked for USB outlets at each table. I think it's a terrible idea - I'd be happy for my phone to go flat when eating out - but that's not the point! The type he has asked for are just USB outlets and not the ones combined with 13 amp sockets and there are 13 of them to be installed.
My question is what sort of loading could potentially be on them? They say the output is 2.1 amps and 5 volts so is it a simple case of that being 10.5 watts therefore 10.5/230=0.0456 amps?
Thanks

10.5 watts is correct for 1 usb. when you have 13 that's 136.5 watts. no problem at 230V but if you step down to a 5V common supply, it's 27A @ 5V.

Where you been, Streamer?

I’d separate them up a bit. Ie, not all on the one rcd. They always seem to cause problems.

Thanks @telectrix, that's what I thought. They are 230v input so the most that can be drawn on the circuit is 136.5 watts.
[automerge]1592583190[/automerge]
Where you been, Streamer?

I’d separate them up a bit. Ie, not all on the one rcd. They always seem to cause problems.
I've been hiding! I've actually moved from sunny Coldstream to the big smoke of Glasgow, just finding my feet here and trying to get a few jobs in.

Got any jobs needing finished over this side of the country?
Not really, I had a mad couple of months before I moved trying to tidy things up, and then the lock down made things even more complicated. But I've had a good few weeks working on the new house and garden and now just getting some work in over here. Are you keeping busy enough?

Just started back last couple of weeks. Odd days here an
A lot of my ongoing jobs are still to go back to, customers are wary.
Couldnt get any SE income support, so had to claim UC.

My question is what sort of loading could potentially be on them? They say the output is 2.1 amps and 5 volts so is it a simple case of that being 10.5 watts therefore 10.5/230=0.0456 amps?
Thanks

Yes, but you should allow a little for inefficiencies in the transformation/rectification etc.
But either way it adds up to a couple of hundred Watts total.

Depending on exactly how things are being installed I'd be inclined towards running a 6A circuit to feed them. Otherwise put them on a general socket circuit via FCU's

Reply to Multiple USB outlets in restaurant in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock