Discuss MV cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have two questions;

1. Can we provide MV Cables manhole inside a living room?

2. Can we pass MV Cables under toilet area?

Need description/clarification with respect to standards/codes on these.

1. Can we provide MV Cables manhole inside a living room?
Presumably this is for some factory or similar and you are referring to office/living space in that complex?

Otherwise you will need access rights to the owner's property for any work and that may not be granted. Not to mention the safety implications of a high energy fault!!!

Presumably this is for some factory or similar and you are referring to office/living space in that complex?

Otherwise you will need access rights to the owner's property for any work and that may not be granted. Not to mention the safety implications of a high energy fault!!!
So is there any code which forbid any of the conditions in question?

No international regulations as far as I know prohibit the running of cables as described.

In the UK, there are additional rules, but they are local.

Not sure what you mean by manhole, are the cables run in ducts, and the manhole provides access to the ducts?

These can be anywhere really as they are placed at suitable points for pulling cable, once the cable has been pulled, they are not used (unless you pull another cable!)

No international regulations as far as I know prohibit the running of cables as described.

In the UK, there are additional rules, but they are local.

Not sure what you mean by manhole, are the cables run in ducts, and the manhole provides access to the ducts?

These can be anywhere really as they are placed at suitable points for pulling cable, once the cable has been pulled, they are not used (unless you pull another cable!)
Thanks. This clarify some of my concerns. Yes you understood manhole correctly. My concern is regarding the safety of individual since if we provide manhole in a living room wouldn’t it be dangerous for a person since generally manholes are provided either outside of a building or in a corridor. If neither of the code restrict it such as NFPA/IEC/HTM then we can’t challenge it.

I doubt the usual electrical regulations cover this specifically (rather than general statements about sufficient access for safe work and not exposing the public to danger) since it would normally be covered by building regulations or simply access rights (i.e. ownership of the land).

Are you talking about a building erected on top of existing MV cable work?

It would be utterly bizarre to try and put in a manhole and duct through an existing building (if not as part of internal cabling for a factory, etc) so it would be unlikely to get a specific mention!

I’m having a browse but haven’t found a reg yet, no doubt as per @pc1966 thought that it’s a bit bizarre... So here’s my guiding thought - prudent avoidance of a known risk .

I’m sure you’ll have your own examples of what can happen to a cable pit, but this one was in London a little while back. Very dangerous in the open, but like a bomb if confined in someone’s lounge room.

Attachments

• D51A982E-04FB-4573-8CCB-FB385317B8F4.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 11
I’m having a browse but haven’t found a reg yet, no doubt as per @pc1966 thought that it’s a bit bizarre... So here’s my guiding thought - prudent avoidance of a known risk .

I’m sure you’ll have your own examples of what can happen to a cable pit, but this one was in London a little while back. Very dangerous in the open, but like a bomb if confined in someone’s lounge room.
Can you give details on this incident. Was there any news coverage or article on it. Would appreciate.

This is why I asked about what was meant by a manhole!

If it's an access point to a chamber or vault (i.e. there is switchgear, disconnectors etc) then that is a totally different thing to a manhole providing access to a cable pulling point!

In terms of conduit it's the difference between access to the innards of a live circuit breaker and access to the inside of a through box!

If it's a pulling point, the biggest issue is water - just like any pipe, if water gets in and you are at the bottom of the hill..... Your floor would get rather wet!

Reply to MV cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net