• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss My 1st board on site advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MrShine94

Active EF Member
Hello,

I have just competed my 1st consumer unit install on site. I would like some advice on how I may improve the quality/neatness.

All constructive criticism welcome

Thanks

upload_2019-4-4_9-10-18.jpeg

3F355485-FF92-4534-A51A-7DE5D9B9DE05.jpeg

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
A) Proteus is cheap S***
B) You need ferrules on the end of those neutral fly leads.
C) I don't like to see cable ties holding conductors together in a CU

Although at a quick glance aside from the above. Looks ok

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
Top row, there’s a 16A in between 6A.
Personally, I like to have descending sizes from the main switch.
Bottom row needs more blanks if top and bottom are same number of ways.

Speaking of the mainswitch.... there’s no tails connected yet. Post another photo when they are in and we will constructively criticise then.

Where do you get white t&e that looks like Sky shotgun cable?

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Thanks of the advice guys appreciate it. I strive improve my quality in my work.
My point about ferrules is a must, you're contravening BS7671 not doing. My other points are merely my opinion.

MrShine94

Active EF Member
The cable is used is LSF. The grey stuff is becoming a thing of the past. Will be connecting tails in the next day or so. Will update once competed. Thanks again

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
C
Could your link me to the BS7671 requirement please ?
Off the top of my head regulation 526.2 or there about.

Look for fine stranded conductors.

MrShine94

Active EF Member
A) Proteus is cheap S***
B) You need ferrules on the end of those neutral fly leads.
C) I don't like to see cable ties holding conductors together in a CU

Although at a quick glance aside from the above. Looks ok
Also could you expand a little on B about the cable ties. I used that for aesthetically purposes.

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Also could you expand a little on B about the cable ties. I used that for aesthetically purposes.
Ok so for point B regulations:

526.9 Connection of multiwire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors

526.9.1 In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.
526.9.2 Soldering (tinning) of the whole conductor end of multiwire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors is not permitted if screw terminals are used.
526.9.3 Soldered (tinned) conductor ends on fine wire and very fine wire conductors are not permissible at connection and junction points which are subject in service to a relative movement between the soldered and the non-soldered part of the conductor.
The cable tie, is purely my opinion, use them to make it tidy and then I would remove, the cables should have been formed into position.

I don't like it as in older bigger DBs with more circuits, especially ones that have been poorly terminated, it's a pain in the ass trying to trace a wire when they're cable tied.

Other people will argue it's not a good idea, as you're bunching conductors together and could potentially cause a hot spot.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.