Discuss My 1st board on site advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A) Proteus is cheap S***
B) You need ferrules on the end of those neutral fly leads.
C) I don't like to see cable ties holding conductors together in a CU

Although at a quick glance aside from the above. Looks ok

Top row, there’s a 16A in between 6A.
Personally, I like to have descending sizes from the main switch.
Bottom row needs more blanks if top and bottom are same number of ways.

Speaking of the mainswitch.... there’s no tails connected yet. Post another photo when they are in and we will constructively criticise then.

Where do you get white t&e that looks like Sky shotgun cable?

A) Proteus is cheap S***
B) You need ferrules on the end of those neutral fly leads.
C) I don't like to see cable ties holding conductors together in a CU

Although at a quick glance aside from the above. Looks ok

Also could you expand a little on B about the cable ties. I used that for aesthetically purposes.

Also could you expand a little on B about the cable ties. I used that for aesthetically purposes.

Ok so for point B regulations:

526.9 Connection of multiwire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors

526.9.1 In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.
526.9.2 Soldering (tinning) of the whole conductor end of multiwire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors is not permitted if screw terminals are used.
526.9.3 Soldered (tinned) conductor ends on fine wire and very fine wire conductors are not permissible at connection and junction points which are subject in service to a relative movement between the soldered and the non-soldered part of the conductor.

The cable tie, is purely my opinion, use them to make it tidy and then I would remove, the cables should have been formed into position.

I don't like it as in older bigger DBs with more circuits, especially ones that have been poorly terminated, it's a pain in the --- trying to trace a wire when they're cable tied.

Other people will argue it's not a good idea, as you're bunching conductors together and could potentially cause a hot spot.

The cable tie, is purely my opinion, use them to make it tidy and then I would remove, the cables should have been formed into position.

I don't like it as in older bigger DBs with more circuits, especially ones that have been poorly terminated, it's a pain in the --- trying to trace a wire when they're cable tied.

Other people will argue it's not a good idea, as you're bunching conductors together and could potentially cause a hot spot.

Thanks for the reply. I had a read over that regulation you supplied but can’t see how it applies to the neutral fly leads. I would rather not have to go back and install Ferrules. Time consuming. I will if it’s a legal requirement.

Thanks for the reply. I had a read over that regulation you supplied but can’t see how it applies to the neutral fly leads. I would rather not have to go back and install Ferrules. Time consuming. I will if it’s a legal requirement.

They are fine stranded conductors... (fine wire)

526.9.1 In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.

Those terminals in the CU are not spring loaded, so the conductor must be suitably treated. E.g ferruled.

From the factory you will likely notice that the ends before you cut them are ultrasonically welded.

They are fine stranded conductors... (fine wire)

Those terminals in the CU are not spring loaded, so the conductor must be suitably treated. E.g ferruled.

From the factory you will likely notice that the ends before you cut them are ultrasonically welded.

Thanks a lot been a great help

If you don't fit ferrules some of the strands will not make proper contact in the terminal as they are pushed out sideways by the screw.
This leads to overheating and you will be back to replace the higher rated/loaded RCBOs because that connection has failed.

If you don't fit ferrules some of the strands will not make proper contact in the terminal as they are pushed out sideways by the screw.
This leads to overheating and you will be back to replace the higher rated/loaded RCBOs because that connection has failed.

Also copper creep.

This is more prevalent on larger cables than these, but it does still happen.

Reply to My 1st board on site advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock