Discuss My 1st board on site advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Di
My point about ferrules is a must, you're contravening BS7671 not doing. My other points are merely my opinion.
Did query that on my Elecsa assessment as I’d shortened some of the RCBO fly leads and re crimped the ends. Told that if I hadn’t done so it wouldn’t have been compliant.

Top row, there’s a 16A in between 6A.
Personally, I like to have descending sizes from the main switch.
Bottom row needs more blanks if top and bottom are same number of ways.

Speaking of the mainswitch.... there’s no tails connected yet. Post another photo when they are in and we will constructively criticise then.

Where do you get white t&e that looks like Sky shotgun cable?

It's actually technically better to alternate high and low load mcbs so that you don't have all the highest loaded mcbs next to each other as they are the ones which heat up the most in operation.

Draka started doing T&E that looks like shotgun cable a few years ago, personally I don't like it.

I’ve used some of the shotgun type T&E, and it was a right pain stripping it back.
I also don’t like cable ties in DBs, mainly because of the hassle it creates when trying to trace circuits, though grouping factors is another issue.
Yes fine stranded wires do need protection in screw terminals, ferrules are neater and more robust than twisting and doubling over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve used some of the shotgun type T&E, and it was a right pain stripping it back.
I also don’t like cable ties in DBs, mainly because of the hassle it creates when trying to trace circuits, though grouping factors is another issue.
Yes fine stranded wires do need protection in screw terminals, ferrules are neater and more robust than twisting and doubling over.
LSF cable is the future unfortunately

S

So if I have not cut the fly leads it’s not a requirement for ferrules ?

If you haven't cut them then the ends should already have a ferrule or ultrasonic weld on them from the manufacturer.
If the ends are just loose strands then they will need ferrules.

The requirementa apply to all fine strands, not just RCBO tails.

Do people generally bother shortening the N fly lead or better to leave long and simply dress down the back of the din bar.
Some RCBOs used to come with those curly whirly N leads which I never bothered to cut and shorten

S

So if I have not cut the fly leads it’s not a requirement for ferrules ?
Before cutting any neutral or functional earth leads, first check Manufacturer’s Information to ensure they can be cut.
Fine and very fine wires do need protection when used with screw terminals.
For years the practice has been to twist and double over the ends, most commonly in plug tops and lamp holders.
The manufacturers tend to weld the strands together, or crimp them with a ferrule.
Leaving the leads long makes for a messy board, and leaving the leads coiled up creates it’s own problems.
Using ferrules is neat, allows for easier termination and looks quite professional. Just remember not to use Blue insulated ferrules on earth wires.

Strictly speaking that's true. But I think anyone opening a DB will be able to identify the difference between a blue ferrule and a marker.applied to. Identify a PEN conductor.
Ferrules come in a variety of colours, blue, red, black, white, yellow, orange, grey, green.
That’s just the colours I’ve got.
Not using a blue on earth conductors, or stripping off the blue insulation, is not difficult.
I guess it all depends on whether you want to adhere to the Regulations or not?

Ferrules come in a variety of colours, blue, red, black, white, yellow, orange, grey, green.
That’s just the colours I’ve got.
Not using a blue on earth conductors, or stripping off the blue insulation, is not difficult.
I guess it all depends on whether you want to adhere to the Regulations or not?

Ferrules are not cable identifiers.

An yes they do come in lots of colours determined to size. 99% of ferrules will follow either the french or german coloring system. (In the UK it's mostly french)

It wouldn't meet the percentage requirements for identification anyway (15% off the top of my head).

It wouldn't meet the percentage requirements for identification anyway (15% off the top of my head).
514.4.3 PEN conductor A PEN conductor shall, when insulated, be marked by one of the following methods:
(i) Green-and-yellow throughout its length with, in addition, blue markings at the terminations
(ii) Blue throughout its length, with green-and-yellow markings at the terminations.

There is no percentage requirement.

Reply to My 1st board on site advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock