Discuss My industry is gone (live events sound engineer)...City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 during lockdown II? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello lovely sparkies!

My livelihood, live events sound engineer, has been decimated by Covid - thank you bat soup!

I'm thinking of skilling up during lockdown II. Realistically, my industry will not pick up for six months at the earliest. Obviously, it's a far away dream to become a qualified electrician in that short space of time and I've read a lot of your incredible advice on the forum already.

However, I'm thinking about moving my way towards qualifying as an electrician, and if I enjoy it, maybe moving into it fully. I'm thinking that any courses I do towards becoming an electrician will complement my work as a sound engineer anyway. I understand the steps necessary to make it as an electrician...City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 & 3, 18th edition course, then NVQ3 while building up my portfolio on site. I know you guys recommend part-time /full-time courses at a local college, if possible. I know it's a long journey and under no illusion that a short course will see me making a living as an electrician. But, a lot of the college terms have already started, so I'm now looking at short courses.

I'm thinking of starting a City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 as soon as possible during this current lockdown. A local place near where I live, Optima in South London, are offering the level 2, but for almost ÂŁ4,000! There must be a cheaper way of doing it. This seems outrageous! Any advice greatly recommended and any reviews of Optima is appreciated.

TL;DR
'm thinking of starting a City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 as soon as possible during this current lockdown. A local place near where I live, Optima in South London, are offering the level 2, but for almost ÂŁ4,000! There must be a cheaper way of doing it. This seems outrageous! Any adice greatly recommend
Im sorry i cant help with advice on training. been a long time since i did mine, and everything's shiny and new now.

Can your skills be translated to studio work?
TV programmes are still being made.

Im sorry i cant help with advice on training. been a long time since i did mine, and everything's shiny and new now.

Can your skills be translated to studio work?
TV programmes are still being made.
Thank you for your response!

Sadly, TV/Radio stations are not currently accepting placements due to Covid. Twiddling my thumbs at home!

4k for level 2 alone is insane money. Not sure if i'm allowed to put their name but you should be Able to find a centre offering these Skills at levels 2 and 3 for a combined 4k home study, in Dartford.

4k for level 2 alone is insane money. Not sure if i'm allowed to put their name but you should be Able to find a centre offering these Skills at levels 2 and 3 for a combined 4k home study, in Dartford.
I know of the company you're speaking of, but i wonder if they are capABLE of teaching me the SKILLS and knowledge? Have you done their distance course? Worthwhile?

I know of the company you're speaking of, but i wonder if they are capABLE of teaching me the SKILLS and knowledge? Have you done their distance course? Worthwhile?
I actually signed up for their long distance home study course in the summer but had a change of circumstances so cancelled, but i've still got all the stuff they let you download over their smartscreen platform. It's mostly all health and safety theory stuff but it seems to cover all the bases. They also then have you in for 7 weeks to take you through all the practicals. I'm probably going to sign up for it again at some point as their physical in-centre courses are fully booked up until the middle of next year and their rival providers are also booked up well into next summer.

I actually signed up for their long distance home study course in the summer but had a change of circumstances so cancelled, but i've still got all the stuff they let you download over their smartscreen platform. It's mostly all health and safety theory stuff but it seems to cover all the bases. They also then have you in for 7 weeks to take you through all the practicals. I'm probably going to sign up for it again at some point as their physical in-centre courses are fully booked up until the middle of next year and their rival providers are also booked up well into next summer.
Ahh, shame about it being fully booked. It is a good sign, no wonder the other company I mentioned originally is charging such a high rate - there's the demand!

Hello lovely sparkies!

My livelihood, live events sound engineer, has been decimated by Covid - thank you bat soup!

I'm thinking of skilling up during lockdown II. Realistically, my industry will not pick up for six months at the earliest. Obviously, it's a far away dream to become a qualified electrician in that short space of time and I've read a lot of your incredible advice on the forum already.

However, I'm thinking about moving my way towards qualifying as an electrician, and if I enjoy it, maybe moving into it fully. I'm thinking that any courses I do towards becoming an electrician will complement my work as a sound engineer anyway. I understand the steps necessary to make it as an electrician...City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 & 3, 18th edition course, then NVQ3 while building up my portfolio on site. I know you guys recommend part-time /full-time courses at a local college, if possible. I know it's a long journey and under no illusion that a short course will see me making a living as an electrician. But, a lot of the college terms have already started, so I'm now looking at short courses.

I'm thinking of starting a City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 as soon as possible during this current lockdown. A local place near where I live, Optima in South London, are offering the level 2, but for almost ÂŁ4,000! There must be a cheaper way of doing it. This seems outrageous! Any advice greatly recommended and any reviews of Optima is appreci

Ahh, shame about it being fully booked. It is a good sign, no wonder the other company I mentioned originally is charging such a high rate - there's the demand!
the biggest problem i think is the online courses is no experiance. No good knowing cable calculations and what a Zs or PFC is but knowing the practical side is a different matter. Thats the beauty about a full 4 year apprenticship.

Last edited:
the biggest problem i think is the online courses is no experiance. No good knowing cable calculations and what a Zs or PFC is but knowing the practical side is a different matter. Thats the beauty about a full 4 year apprenticship.
Show us where all these apprenticeships are for us older folk and we'll gladly take them!

There are some out there but few and far between. most companys seem to like getting folk straight out of school probably to pay less and get money from government . all you can do is send out a huge amount of C.Vs

i was lucky i got started at 16. (many years ago now)

There are some out there but few and far between. most companys seem to like getting folk straight out of school probably to pay less and get money from government . all you can do is send out a huge amount of C.Vs

i was lucky i got started at 16. (many years ago now)

Colleges that run apprentice courses in NI specify an upper age limit - I believe it's either 22 or 24. Can't speak for GB, but I can send out CVs until the cows come home and still wouldn't be able to take the apprentice route.

It's been a struggle to even find a college that runs Level 2&3 courses that I could undertake while gaining experience and the limited options usually available were unavailable this year due to coronavirus drastically reducing classroom capacity. I'm currently torn between starting a distance learning course or waiting to try and secure a college place for next year (days as no evening courses exist) - common sense tells me to wait, but there's no guarantee I'd get a place and trying that route might just see me waste a year that could have been spent gainfully studying.

Hello lovely sparkies!

I'm thinking of starting a City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 as soon as possible during this current lockdown. A local place near where I live, Optima in South London, are offering the level 2, but for almost ÂŁ4,000! There must be a cheaper way of doing it. This seems outrageous! Any advice greatly recommended and any reviews of Optima is appreciated.
Hi JazzFrog,

Did you get around to joining a course? I'm in a pretty much in same situation as you were back in November. I also live very close to Optima but have been put off by their course prices. I'd love to hear which course you ended up going with.

Cheers!

Sammysoza

I've done the level 2 last year and am partway through the level 3, covid has hit college abilities to deliver learning effectively but I'm proactive enough to find out places and sources for learning.

Check with your local college, you may end up getting your course paid for (based on Universal Credit income), my level 2 was paid for and I've taken student finance (Adult Learner Loan) for level 3.

I've done the level 2 last year and am partway through the level 3, covid has hit college abilities to deliver learning effectively but I'm proactive enough to find out places and sources for learning.

Check with your local college, you may end up getting your course paid for (based on Universal Credit income), my level 2 was paid for and I've taken student finance (Adult Learner Loan) for level 3.
Thanks for your reply,

What college did you do your level 2 at? Are you able to give me an idea of costs?

Riverside College, Halton, Cheshire.

Think it was around 2k but would have to go back through records and check
Thank you for the info. We're in different parts of the country and the fees in London are definitely more down here. I'm looking to do a home study course that allows me to work at my own pace and then you attend the college for the practical part of the module.

Thompson Training and traininginelectrical.co.uk offer distance learning courses, with attendance required for practical elements. I can not comment on the quality of training offered by either provider.

Reply to My industry is gone (live events sound engineer)...City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 during lockdown II? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock