Discuss My spark wants me to find an 8kW shower, any ideas? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

cable_guy

-
DIY
Reaction score
hi all,

My shower blew up in my face the other day, and after ringing my spark he asked me to buy an 8kW shower and he'd fit it when I have it.

Any particular models or brands you recommend please? TBH I can't see any 8kW ones, just 7.5 or 8.5?!

BTW I've been quoted £60 for fitting, do you think this sounds reasonable please?

Are you ok? what happened?
go for the 7.5kw thats the safer option if hes said 8kw

£60 sounds reasonable for a spark whos part p compliant

If your spark has worked out that the cable can take up to 8kw don't get any higher unless he checks the cable calcs again, so 7.5kw it may have to be.

Ps £60 is mates rates for a shower change.

unless you have to get a plumber to modify the pipework, then it's £1060

Yep, 60 notes is very reasonable.

If you can, try and get the same make (if you are happy with it), to save time and aggro.

thanks for the posts guys, to the guy who asked if I am OK. yes I'm OK thanks it was a bit of a shock! I turned it on on the ceiling, got in the bath and the box on the wall immediately went BOOM! I do recall it was making very odd noises for a week leading up to this. I'm a bit annoyed with the spend coming up but this shower looks like it's out of the 1980s so maybe it's a good thing it's blown up in the long run!

I was really after how much you think I should be spending on a shower of this type (I'll look at 7.5kW ones) bearing in mind I don't think i'll be in the house for a year. I want to sell my house.

thanks again all.

shop around, you should be able to get one for under a ton.

b&q do a 10litre watering can for £2.99. swivel mount, pull cord to tip, saves the £60 electrician's fee.

Bit confused why there is such a flap over 8kw and 8.5kw Both are too big for a 32 amp MCB and unless we are working with an MCB with the ranges 34-37 amps most likely the size will be 40amp

So have you a 32 amp MCB and if so you can only go with a 7.5kw.

Reply to My spark wants me to find an 8kW shower, any ideas? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net