Discuss My Veritas R8 alarm went off when not set showing Tamper in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

covboy

DIY
Reaction score
My burglar alarm went off last night when it wasn't even set. When I went to Keypad it was showing TAMPER with a Red light.
I could not silence it either with the keypad user code or Engineer code and had to take the battery out of the control panel to silence it.
Today I went round all the sensors and checked the Tamper springs along with the Control panel Tamper spring.
I reconnected mains and battery and keypad zone lights 2 - 7 were flashing and it was beeping 7 times. Zone 1 ( front door magnet contact ) was not flashing. Keypad would still not accept user or engineer code !

I again removed battery leads and mains and after 1 minute connected the battery but no response on keypad although Battery light was flashing on control panel. I turned back on at the mains but permanent Green light for mains power did not light on control panel and it looks like panel is now not receiving mains power.

Any ideas or advice would be very welcome

Thanks

How old is the battery?
I've seen something similar when a battery fails had to do a full factory reset to recover it

Hi, I reckon 3 years old, but the control panel flashes when the battery is connected so I thought the battery was still ok

is the keypad on board? I've had a couple of cases with bad contact/s wher the keypad ribbon plugs into the main board. this results in lack of keypad input. otherwise i think an engineer visit is needed. too far for me, but sure there's a member or 2 close to you.

No, I have 2 keypads, one by front door and one on stairs landing.
I have just checked control panel back up 12V battery and it is is reading 8 Volts after 2 days disconnected from control panel. Does that mean I should replace battery ?
Still no Green light on control panel to indicate being mains powered although the cable from the spur is tight in terminals !

Thanks

could be that the power supply circuit is goosed, duff battery, or a blown fuse on the PCB. check all fuses and if all intact power up mains only without battery connected.

No, I have 2 keypads, one by front door and one on stairs landing.
I have just checked control panel back up 12V battery and it is is reading 8 Volts after 2 days disconnected from control panel. Does that mean I should replace battery ?
Still no Green light on control panel to indicate being mains powered although the cable from the spur is tight in terminals !

Thanks
So with the mains power connected and the battery disconnected what voltage do you get on the battery connections on the panel. If you get around 13.8 volts then the panel is probably ok and you need a new battery, it is likely from what you describe in the OP that you will have to factory reset the panel and reprogram it

think with veritas 1234 is default engineer and 4321 default user.

Latest on my problem. the reason why I was finding no mains power was that I must have dislodged the control panel Euro plug when checking the fuse.
Now have mains power and bought a new back up battery.
Fitted new battery and turned on mains and can put codes into keypad as before the original false alarm problem.
Thought all was ok but then noticed an intermittent " CLICK " from external bell box , then after a minute or so the alarm went off.
Can I assume that the Bell Box is the problem with my alarm, and would a new battery and TAMPER spring check solve it ?

Thanks in advance

ext bell boxes often have a back tamper that regularly causes problems esp. if surface is uneven. get up a ladder and check it out.

It sounds like an issue with the bell tamper. I'd link out the tamper and leave it for a while to see if that solves your issues. If you don't get any more problems then you know for sure

Hi thanks for replies, and hopefully on course for solving problem.

How do I link out the Bell Tamper ? Assume this is done inside the Control panel ?

Thanks

link C to D on the 5 way terminal strip, 2nd strip from the left.

Just opened up bell box and it looks like something went "bang" inside so new bell box on the cards.
Can I disable the bell box from the control panel to carry on using alarm on internal sounder ?

Thanks all for your replies

Attachments

• My Veritas R8 alarm went off when not set showing Tamper IMG_3576.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3576.JPG
    797.6 KB · Views: 9
yes, just disconnect A,B, and S from the panel terminals. leave C and D linked.

Reply to My Veritas R8 alarm went off when not set showing Tamper in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock