Discuss My Work Experience in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

As some of you may remember I have started a short course in order to become qualified as an Electrician.

You may also remember that I mentioned I would be trying to gain on site experience that will prepare me for the World of Electrics.

Last week I started working for my Brother in Laws friend on a domestic rewire.

Everything went very well, a massive eye opener but nothing that I can see deterring me;) The two electricians that I was working with (32 years experience between them) were very pleased with my assistance:)

I believe I have managed to strike quite a deal with them. Originally we agreed on 40 quid a day which is what they pay their labourer but they soon admitted that this was not enough and it was bumped up by an extra 20 quid:cool:.

After discussions, if I am out of work (very likely at the moment) then I am going to let them know that I am available and go along to jobs with them. "IF" there is money in the pot then they are going to pay me and if there is not then I am working for the experience that I will gain.

However, any jobs that they arrange in the future they will be trying to be budgeting me into the job as often as possible:cool:

I received a call this morning asking if I was available for tomorrow. Didn't even ask what the job was, just said yes:D

Go 4 it mate, just av a go and try yer best, but always remember if you don,t know ask em as thats the learning curve my mate.

Go 4 it mate, just av a go and try yer best, but always remember if you don,t know ask em as thats the learning curve my mate.

Thanks for your input Johhny. I agree with you regards to asking questions, even more so if it's believed the question may sound dumb because they are more often than not the ones that remain unanswered:p

:)

I received a call this morning asking if I was available for tomorrow. Didn't even ask what the job was, just said yes:D[/QUOTE]

I wish there where more people out there like that mate.

I received a call this morning asking if I was available for tomorrow. Didn't even ask what the job was, just said yes:D

I wish there where more people out there like that mate.
I've spent all day crawling around a loft in a bungalow and crawling around in a cellar on my knees doing the wiring for all the lighting and sockets:p

Whilst many people may believe this to be really boring and invaluable I do not. I am learning a great deal about how wires should be routed correctly and how to overcome issues of getting a wire from one place to another which when you don't actually give it any thought sounds simple, obviously I have a realistic understanding of how difficult this can be now:)

The Electrician I am working with is absolutely brilliant to work with because he doesn't just ask me to fetch and carry things. He understands exactly why I am there and helps me by explaining why we are doing what we are about to do etc and on occasions when we've been having a coffee he'll sit down with a pen and piece of paper and illustrate what we will be doing next.

Came across on Asbestos roof today and by the sounds of it this is a very common obstacle for you guys:(

I think this thread is more than likely going to get updated in the New Year now. I will try to get some pictures if possible too:p

Hope you all have a Happy New Year if I don't update before:cool::D

Last edited by a moderator:
brilliant great to hear your thread here. would have loved a bit of guidance like that when i was trying to break in. sounds invaluable, its that kind of experience that cant be given in any college or training center that you can only learn by doing. good example for fresh blood too, cheers

Sounds like you've landed on your feet there shortcirciut.

In the same position myself and would have done the same.

Good luck and hope all works out well

Just thought I'd update my thread:D

I have been doing a little more work recently, 3 days last week Thursday Friday and Saturday and have just landed another two weeks 2nd fixing 9 apartments which I'm really looking forward to as it will help me enormously:)

Reading your post and it sounds alot like when I first started. I got in with a electrician out of the local paper (now a very good friend) and started going out working with him at weekends wile studying at night school. I gained real experance that you just can't get at college. I ended up working for him full time, and when time served had a trainee of my own. now I'v just set my own company up:).

So well done, keep up the good work and you'll get there soon

Nothing beats hands on experience. Keep up the good work.

As I was online I thought I'd let you know how I am getting on, for those that may be interested :)

The work that I started off doing was short lived unfortunately. I have still been progressing through my course though and I'm really pleased to mention that I passed my Building Regs and Seventeenth Edition exams. It was a mind boggling week away revising and my head was well and truly frazzled by the time of taking my 2377 exam which unfortunately I missed out on by one mark. Even with that in mind though I'm still really pleased with my results.

The centre that I am training with were able to line me up with one of their successful students who required assistance on a re-wire which lead to half a dozen further re-wires which has been really good practical experience, something that could never ever be taught in a classroom/centre.

Unfortunately it seems I need to grow a bigger pair of nuts and get with the whole reality of "MONEY" yes it seems it really does make the money go around and NO it's not only electricians that do not get paid or have difficulty obtaining their money. Whilst I now have cleared funds I have learnt that it doesn't matter how well you know someone or how much you trust someone if things don't go as planned then getting paid money that is owed to you can become quite a challenge :(

Anyway, it's all experience and I have taken precautions with the work that I am currently doing. It's only temporary at the moment but it could become more permanent depending on a couple of contracts that are due to be finalised and how I perform on this job.

Thanks for reading :)

Reply to My Work Experience in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net