Discuss Mysterious problem in ceiling lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lew19

-
Reaction score
I have noticed that sometimes there is a delay between flicking the switch for the overhead light in two bedrooms and the light coming on. The bulbs are ok and this doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it is as though the bulb is struggling to come on. An additional concern is that both these rooms border a slightly dodgy house next door. What are the possible causes? And what should I do to rectify please?

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Is the problem restricted to that room.

Last edited:
What type of "bulbs" are they?

By a delay in starting, how long? 5s 0.5s.

I've seen some LED lights that have a delay (probably a cap charging) although this delay is noticeable to the human eye it's probably less than 0.5s

You need to employ an Electrician to sort this problem for you, could be a simple fix, but one that could be disastrous.

Dodgy house'
looks that way .:D
o-OLD-HOME-facebook.jpg

I have a couple of outdoor circuits with a number of CFL lamps on each, on switch on the lamps all light at slightly different times. Circuits are all ok.

CFL lamps can take slightly longer to start. Try a normal lamp (or 'bulb') and see if it cures it.

I have a couple of outdoor circuits with a number of CFL lamps on each, on switch on the lamps all light at slightly different times. Circuits are all ok.
The further away the fittings are then the longer the delay as electrickery needs to travel the length of the cable, if its down hill they they will light up faster then if up hill.

The further away the fittings are then the longer the delay as electrickery needs to travel the length of the cable, if its down hill they they will light up faster then if up hill.
and downhill is the way this thread is headed. :eek::eek::eek:.

Buzz...you should know better,than to post a picture,of a fellow forum member's property - without appropriate permission...

If you look carefully,at the middle,first floor window...you can see my missus and her furious expression...
Liar, you don't have a wife it's you and your moobs on display.........

Reply to Mysterious problem in ceiling lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net