Discuss Mystery light switch????? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive joined the forum to get some advice/answers on a light switch I have in a new home I've bought.
Its a 4 way switch in my kitchen/diner, the first switch operates the under unit kitchen lights, the second operates the ceiling lights in the kitchen end of the room, the third does nothing, the fourth operates the ceiling lights in the dinning end of the room.
My question is should the third switch be doing something, if not could it be used to operate all lights in the room or even just all the ceiling lights? Ive attached a PDF of the switch for reference.

Attachments

• Switch.pdf
    335.1 KB · Views: 522
Do you have any outside lights?

Someone intended it to do something otherwise the switchwire would have been left out.
The switchwires are even marked with 1 2 3 4 bands.

What about lights over the top of units?
Or plinth lights?

Someone intended it to do something otherwise the switchwire would have been left out.
The switchwires are even marked with 1 2 3 4 bands.

What about lights over the top of units?
Or plinth lights?
Rough old way of marking live conductors though snowhead, don't you think?

Old school, like both of us

We used to put nicks in with cutters, but cut the nicks off when terminating.

In more recent times I've just used a permanent marker and left the bands on.

Me too ^^

cheap job. just because wagos cost a little more than choc blocks.

Kinda like the "mystery" light switch idea! I have one in my utility room that does absolutely nothing...it used to control an outside light, but when I put LED GU10s in the utility room it tripped the mcb whenever I switched it on. I put a new circuit in for the outside light, from the garage and all was well.
I am moving house soon, and love the idea that the new owners will switch that useless switch on and off, looking round the house, wondering what it does!

Is this a brand new or nearly new house? Sometimes in a new house, I've seen cables installed for something that is not fitted, as the buyer didn't want to pay extra.

Kinda like the "mystery" light switch idea! I have one in my utility room that does absolutely nothing...it used to control an outside light, but when I put LED GU10s in the utility room it tripped the mcb whenever I switched it on. I put a new circuit in for the outside light, from the garage and all was well.
I am moving house soon, and love the idea that the new owners will switch that useless switch on and off, looking round the house, wondering what it does!
before moving, you could use that switch to feed a motorised jolly roger flag.

If there's downlighting throughout the kitchen/diner, I'd wager it's for a pendant light in the dining area that was never fitted. Have a look above any logical dining table positions, you'll probably find another choc block in the ceiling.

Maybe I'll just wire it as a 2 way...then they can hit one switch to put the lights on, and the one next to it to put them off? That should keep 'em amused for hours!

I assume this is a newly built house? there should be a sticker on the consumer unit for when the next test is due this in most cases has the electrical contractor attached also, as they did the wiring they should be able to tell you if not go through the developer. As already posted it could be for extra lighting above the kitchen units or plinth lights if chosen and paid for.

Hi, the house is 5 years old, I think the assumption that it was for something the original buyer has either not wanted or couldn't afford is correct. With it being on the dining room side of the switches the pendant light seems like a good bet.

Reply to Mystery light switch????? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock