Discuss Naked Ladies? the results for L-L and N-N should be within 0.05 ohms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

VoltzElectrical

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Naked ladies are lovely. especially if they are fit. However, on an electrical note...

When testing ring final circuits end to end tests confirming the ring. I have recently been informed that the results for L-L and N-N should be within 0.05 ohms. I know that they should be the same, but where is the 0.05 figure from, as the person informing me couldn't tell me?

Thanks in advance

Voltz.

But then that doesn't account for crappy sockets, crappy joint box terminals and just about anything else someone wants to put into the circuit. Apart from a new install, any continuity on end to ends is a good thing, :rolleyes: within reason.

But then that doesn't account for crappy sockets, crappy joint box terminals and just about anything else someone wants to put into the circuit. Apart from a new install, any continuity on end to ends is a good thing, :rolleyes: within reason.
Absolutely else panic. lol

Use an analogue meter you will never know the difference, that's what I use, old school the best school.

I have recently been informed that the results for L-L and N-N should be within 0.05 ohms. I know that they should be the same, but where is the 0.05 figure from, as the person informing me couldn't tell me?
It's just considered a negligible difference which demonstrates that they are, to all intents and purposes, the same. Otherwise if people didn't measure precisely the same on each conductor they would start telling people that their circuit is illegal and all of that type of crap that we hear all the time.

Basically you are just verifying that they are substantially the same, and 0.05 Ohms is a reasonable allowance for verifying that.

Typical classroom clown. Wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world, and wouldn't make a brass farthing either. Midwest has got it right, any continuity is 90% of the way there.......

I am fairly certain I read it in guidance note 3. Although the fact that no one has already brought up that it is in a guidance note is making me doubt myself..!

Thanks for your responses. I'd only come upon the 0.05 in regards to earthing and bonding, so just wanted a verifiable source other than the one I was given - 'its's just something I've always known'.

I'm rather with the brigade that continuity is continuity, rather than being a slave to digital readout displays, but always happy to learn. I'm talking about being asked to investigate readout discrepancies like L-L 0.95 N-N 1.42 for example.

Just for clarity, these are end to end tests being done at a socket outlet disconnected. I only mention this as one post mentioned dubious sockets.

Voltz

I think, that differences of 0.05 ohm between L-L and N-N on the average RFC are the stuff of classroom wall-boards and not those of most domestic environments. As Midwest alluded to, if I get any continuity I breath a sigh of relief and stop thinking about either digging up half the flooring or making 20A radials...........

I'm talking about being asked to investigate readout discrepancies like L-L 0.95 N-N 1.42 for example.
Apologies if I have misunderstood your post, but I would definitely be concerned with a reading such as that. It is indicative of a poor connection somewhere on the neutrals (or maybe both phase and neutral but neutral is simply worse!) - it's certainly something which would warrant further investigation.

@ Risteard, the further investigation is what i have been tasked with, but I am seeking clarification of how much of a problem are these errant readings? The ring is continuous but the readings don't match. How much of a 'problem' is half an ohm in the real world, and where is the guidance (written) on what is and isn't acceptable?

Thanks

Andy, just read your post, will go and look now, cheers.

If it twin and earth then they should be within 0.05 ohms as each other most reading i get are the same or within 0.01 , when using singles you can get a higher difference but not much more , i would say in your example it indicates a loose or poor connection somewere , as long as there as there are no hidden joints it should be fairly easy to find.

@ Risteard, the further investigation is what i have been tasked with, but I am seeking clarification of how much of a problem are these errant readings? The ring is continuous but the readings don't match. How much of a 'problem' is half an ohm in the real world, and where is the guidance (written) on what is and isn't acceptable?

Thanks

Andy, just read your post, will go and look now, cheers.
I am glad you have used the words, "in the real world". I sometimes wonder how many people operate in it. In my real world, 0.01 is fantasy island material. Do you guys actually work in old premises with ageing accessories, JB's and so on? Do your customers feel happy to pay out ££££ while you spend hours locating "faults" down to such precise measurements? I will tell you how much of a problem half an ohm is......nil. Crack on.

I work in the real world and when i have come across such reading its solved by a quick check and tighten up the the connection at all the points .i would do this durring the inspection prob takes about 10 to 15 mins job done , after all its part of the inspection to check connections anyway, and to be fair half a ohm probley wont course any problems but when its a easy fix i do it and it gives me peice of mind . I had one the other day , one leg was not in the mcb properly . It is anoying though when you see an eicr with obsevations that could of been easy rectified at the time of the inspection at very little cost or may not even warent a code 2 observation. :)

I work in the real world and when i have come across such reading its solved by a quick check and tighten up the the connection at all the points .i would do this durring the inspection prob takes about 10 to 15 mins job done , after all its part of the inspection to check connections anyway, and to be fair half a ohm probley wont course any problems but when its a easy fix i do it and it gives me peice of mind . I had one the other day , one leg was not in the mcb properly . It is anoying though when you see an eicr with obsevations that could of been easy rectified at the time of the inspection at very little cost or may not even warent a code 2 observation. :)
And what about when it is in some long-forgotten accessory that even the home owner is unaware of, or a JB hidden under the floor, or god-knows where else? 10-15mins???

Reply to Naked Ladies? the results for L-L and N-N should be within 0.05 ohms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock