Discuss Name & age of this fuse box?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Being doing a PIR today and came across this beauty - can somebody help me with its model/age etc?

I particularly liked the fact that there wasn't an earth bar and the earths had been twisted together, outside the CU and pushed into a choc block! Its a TNS system without an earth too, plus a partial rewire about 40 years ago has left a combination of rubber and PVC cabling too! Old CU.jpg

Is that just a skeleton fuse board?? The frame looks like a homemade wood one to me. These MEM CU's where normally in a metal box, and came with an earthing bar too! ....lol!! Those MEMs were available from the latter part of the 40's....

Looks like something that BILL MEM would make. Bet it was made in the 50s if not earlier but i'm sure i stand to be corrected seeing as how i wasn't even alive then! :p

Being doing a PIR today and came across this beauty - can somebody help me with its model/age etc?

I particularly liked the fact that there wasn't an earth bar and the earths had been twisted together, outside the CU and pushed into a choc block! Its a TNS system without an earth too, plus a partial rewire about 40 years ago has left a combination of rubber and PVC cabling too!View attachment 7439
At least it had a choc block for the earths....one I came across just had earths twisted together all over (no choc blocks in sight).

Virtually, if not all CU's of this period where 3036 rewirable fuse carriers, the cartridge fuse carriers came quite a bit later.
cheers eng. Funnily enough I had a couple of really old fuse boxes....wooden with a little door at the front which had a glass panel in. I was going to save them and restore them, mount them on a hardwood plinth and use them as paperweights/conversation pieces as they were only small. Dont know what happened to them.......shame really as they were a lovely bit of joinery n all..........

I wouldn`t know that one mate and i arn`t prepared to guess. Have you removed this yet or attempted to? Be careful wont you mate as you dont know what nick the switch isolator is in and it could just collapse in your hands.............

Believe you me, the insulation is falling off some of the cables and I'd rather rip the whole lot out!

It looks like a great opportunity for a couple of weeks work!
Well lookin on the brite side.....Is it a fairly large place murdoch as i noticed that the c/u has a good row of carriers which for the date of this thing i would have thought suggested a larger install (for the times)?.........:tounge_smile:

Well lookin on the brite side.....Is it a fairly large place murdoch as i noticed that the c/u has a good row of carriers which for the date of this thing i would have thought suggested a larger install (for the times)?.........:tounge_smile:

Sadly not a big place, 3 of the fuses are no longer required, but the garage is "hanging" off on of the rings and the EFLI result was rubbish! So maybe a high integrity board!

Reply to Name & age of this fuse box?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net