Discuss NAPIT Helps to Jail Rogue Traders in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks for that Warren, we do not see enough of this sort of thing.
Also, what about the householder? They are also breaking the law.
Maybe we could have a section on this forum for prosecutions around the country, I don’t think my local building control have prosecuted anyone yet.

Thanks for that Warren, we do not see enough of this sort of thing.
Also, what about the householder? They are also breaking the law.
Maybe we could have a section on this forum for prosecutions around the country, I don’t think my local building control have prosecuted anyone yet.

Yes Andy, it is some positive news for a change and something to relay back to customers. It would be good if the contractor was fined but the customer was fined higher for using an unregistered electrician and not complying with the building regulations?

All the schemes claim to be battling behind the scenes and this is good example of it. I just wish it would make much bigger news so that the general public started to get the message.

It would be a good idea for a sticky on the forum for news updates. Don't know how to do it myself though?

Good link there Mr G, and good to see things happening with regard to rogue traders, but i just cant help feeling its a bit of free advertising for NAPIT.

would it not be possible to limit the sale of certain electrical items to identity card carrying electricians just as you might be asked for ID when buying alcohol?

That would be very hard to implement.

Trouble is, you can buy gas fittings and some spares without id.

You only gotta look in the Sheds.

I agree that its a good idea, but i just cant see it happening anytime soon.

Of course the NICEIC could never be accused of any such practices.:D

Get real - no one`s going to want to join your scheme unless other people are aware that you exist!

NAPIT, ECA, NICEIC etc. need funding for everything they do - publicity helps to create that funding. What annoys me is when schemes seek cheap advertising by publishing totally misleading or unsubstantiated facts (otherwise known as "creative marketing").

:mad:

the proplem is i was in b&q the other day and down the electrical isle there was leaflets on how to complete certain electrical tasks, what is the point in part p with stuff like this on the shelf

the proplem is i was in b&q the other day and down the electrical isle there was leaflets on how to complete certain electrical tasks, what is the point in part p with stuff like this on the shelf

At my local B&Q there are signs that tell you 6mm is for cookers & showers, 2.5mm for sockets & 1mm for lights.
They also sell 9+10Kw showers.

So it would be easy for someone to by a 10Kw shower, run 20m 6mm through the house including thermal insulation and af course if the mcb trips that would be no problem just put a higher rated one in (which they also sell).

I have no real issue with the likes of B&Q selling these items, as jasons6930 has allready stated it would be hard to implement an ID card scheme.
My gripe is the way they hand out technical imformation like above when it would be impossible to size a cable for a shower without all the relevent information.

Also there was no mention of part p, a leaflet should be given with every sale of electrical items explaining part p.

The problem is that the government has created a "beast" that it seems unable to effectively control.

Whilst they want anyone doing electrical work for a living to register with one of the scams, the DIY "sheds" know that informing people of Part P will hit their sales - having a registered spark to do the job, with all the required bulls**t and red tape puts the cost of the job up (quite often) to such a degree that the customer just says ENOUGH! (and quite rightly). This situation is made worse by the fact that non-notifiable jobs can be done by anyone, including the householders themselves (the jobs may well be thrown in by a "bloke down the pub") without any thought to regulations OR TESTING!, which the householder will not be able to do due to lack of knowledge and test equipment.

Part P is supposed to apply to anyone doing eletcrical work in domestic dwellings, yet the burden has really only fallen on the people who are trying their best to comply - everyone else is let off the hook becuase it`s just too much trouble i.e. virtually impossible to police.

At present, electricians have absolubtly NO representation - the scams are there merely to make sure we do as you are told, not to look after our interests with regard to the stupidities and inconsistancies of Part P. The last thing that the government wants is any single body (representing a large number of sparks of ALL SCHEMES) standing up to them. They know that their stance is totally unworkable, unenforceable and unjustifiable with regard to safety - the real reason for PART P being that the more people that are registered, the more people they can monitor for Tax and National Insurance.

If safety was an issue the government would require all electrcians to be properly trained and assessed - negating the need for yearly assessments that serve little purpose for the good sparks apart form being a pain in the a**e and costing time/money that the un-policed cowboys don`t even have to think about.

hello im thinkin about getting registerd with an electrical body i was thinkin about goin with napit but it seems most people only go for niceic registerd sparks how hard is it to get in the nic i knw thy assess you on one major and one minor works, it cant be that simple surely, wot sort of questions do they ask ya on the assesment, im abit worried incase they test me knowledge on the 17th edition iv got the qualifacation but not long passed, any help would be great, thanks

NAPIT will require you to have (or be prepared to take) the C&G 2391 Inspect and Test exam. Many people avoid NAPIT and prefer ELECSA or the NICEIC DI scheme because of this requirement - often because they simply can`t bring themselves to admit that they could not pass the exam.

You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Im a Napit member and not heard of 2391 requirement - they ask for 17th within first 12 months but no mention of 2391 very easy to join just pay up and play, same as all the partp scams

Reply to NAPIT Helps to Jail Rogue Traders in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock