Discuss Napit Qualification requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Exactly, the tests are fundemental and should be used in domestic, commercial, industrial and any other electrical application I cant think of!

This is what was found on the board , many industrial sparks didn't seem to know the full testing principles as well as those on domestic , this was found to be the case when periodic trade tests were carried , I seem to think that testing was left to certain individuals and the engineers who would be with them when carrying out the testing , this was the case until the mid 90s , but then the contracting side had dwindled since then ,,

I do also think this is due to the company procedures , and that many other industrial individual sparks would be more conversant with the testing aspects ,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
.....many industrial sparks didn't seem to know the full testing principles as well as those on domestic......

That expalins why we get those questions "im a fully trained industrial spark but dont know how to ....."

That expalins why we get those questions "im a fully trained industrial spark but dont know how to ....."

You're right , because going back to those times there was less emphasis on that side of things , I could remember only filling out a basic installation cert that had basic results , that was standard within the company , NIC certs etc were also quite basic if you go back , so there are some very good craftsmen out there that have been brought up with that culture that have worked within larger companies , so I suppose its inevitable that some are asking questions about testing aspects now,,

Don't forget , things like sizing of cables , specifying of equipment , installation requirements etc , was all left to engineers etc to work out,,

Well i was in the industrial sector way before the 90's and i can assure you that the maintenance electricians at the company i did my training with, could teach the average domestic electrician a few things when it came to testing installations... Many people these days get confused between maintenance electricians and maintenance technicians that mainly deal with the electronic and programming side of things on production lines and the like. But even they would be conversant with most aspects of testing, with the rising role of the multi skilled operative at industrial plants etc....

The standards of the domestic spark have dropped considerably in the last 20 years or so , despite the part pee and registration schemes , and what they may say , there was an equivalence between domestic and industrial sparks at one time , and if you look back to the way larger companies like the old boards and their regimes back then , we were considered as being the same and moved around freely from one side to the other and this enabled all guys to see the other side of the work , this no longer happens and now you either do one thing or the other and is divided ..
So its easy to say todays industrial spark is more conversant with testing principles ,,,

The standards of the domestic spark have dropped considerably in the last 20 years or so , despite the part pee and registration schemes , and what they may say , there was an equivalence between domestic and industrial sparks at one time , and if you look back to the way larger companies like the old boards and their regimes back then , we were considered as being the same and moved around freely from one side to the other and this enabled all guys to see the other side of the work , this no longer happens and now you either do one thing or the other and is divided ..
So its easy to say todays industrial spark is more conversant with testing principles ,,,

It's called, Deskilling of the Industry Ray...

I can only relate to the industrial electricians that i knew over the years and those i know of now. On that basis, i would say the industrial electrician has a far more in depth knowledge and experience of testing principles, that are not restricted to those laid out in BS 7671, but will include LV/MV Switchboards, Transformers, protective relays, etc...

I know what your saying there.

Im kind of lucky that the firm im with is still ran by old school electricians that swap you around from domestic,comercial or very rarely industrial.

We had subbies here before that had never seen a conduit bender before and didnt know what cam locks are.

Another only delt with twin and was useless at anything else and worked best with a broom in his hand

I spent 10 years installing tray ladderacking conduit micc, swa, twin and skin,you name it I have installed it, I tested nothing, that was the job of the commisioning engineers. Thats the way it was done.

Reply to Napit Qualification requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock