Discuss NAPIT registered in England - what work can I do in Scotland? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am registered with NAPIT in England for domestic installation and testing. Am I able to change a CU in a flat in Scotland? And am I able to issue an installation certificate for the work? Also, am I able to issue EICRs?

As far as I can see from the Scottish building regs, changing a CU does not require a warrant as it is a repair. Therefore there is nothing to stop me doing this. For certificates it looks like you must be registered with NICEIC, SELECT or NAPIT but is doesn't seem to specifically say "NAPIT in Scotland".

You dont need to be registered with anyone to issue certificates you just need to be suitably trained and experianced, SELECT and some councils will tell you that you that you must be registered but this is not true. If a building warrent is required the onus is on the council to check you are qualified. Some do this by saying you need to be registered but you can contest this. So in short your NAPIT registration should be ok. If you are doing larger domestic jobs though you should have Scottish Building Standards Electrical Certification which is a one day course.
The Scottish Goverment web site is quite good for explaining what is required.

That is very useful info @R-fur . I had wondered if I was able to do the same. I will be looking into that! Not that I'm after pinching our Scottish members work but do have a couple of customers that have moved up that way that had asked, and I do love a holiday in on the west coast up there, it's one of my favorite places!
Sy

You dont need to be registered with anyone to issue certificates you just need to be suitably trained and experianced, SELECT and some councils will tell you that you that you must be registered but this is not true. If a building warrent is required the onus is on the council to check you are qualified. Some do this by saying you need to be registered but you can contest this. So in short your NAPIT registration should be ok. If you are doing larger domestic jobs though you should have Scottish Building Standards Electrical Certification which is a one day course.
The Scottish Goverment web site is quite good for explaining what is required.
Thanks R-fur

I also asked Napit and they say I am covered to issue EICRs in Scotland. For other work it depends whether it needs a warrant and if it does then I have to interact with the local authority. Since I have a full level 3 qualification that should sufficient.
But do you know whether replacing a CU in a flat requires a warrant?

I will look into the Scottish Building Standards Electrical Certification course - it could be quite useful.

I found this:
It has this statement:
Professional Expertise - electrical installation work should be inspected and tested by persons who possess sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken.

An approved certifier of construction who has been assessed to have the professional skills and relevant experience, can certify compliance of an electrical installation (see clause 4.0.5).

Meeting the NAPIT requirements should cover all aspects of that, as obviously Scotland and England both use the same BSI regulations. However, I have a feeling there might be additional regulations concerning flat-work, so hopefully someone with more experience in Scotland such as @baldelectrician or @littlespark can help.

But do you know whether replacing a CU in a flat requires a warrant?
It's somewhat different in Scotland, it isn't necessarily about what you are doing, but where!

For example you can do pretty much any electrical work on a detached property without warrant, but with a flat if it is associated with adjoining walls then a warrant is required.

As said, the Scottish government website actually details it quite well, even the actual building regulations are available on-line for free.

It's somewhat different in Scotland, it isn't necessarily about what you are doing, but where!

For example you can do pretty much any electrical work on a detached property without warrant, but with a flat if it is associated with adjoining walls then a warrant is required.

As said, the Scottish government website actually details it quite well, even the actual building regulations are available on-line for free.
That's part of the Scottish Government 'if your poor you should still be able to get the information for free' thing.

It works quite well- when I was a student you had to buy past papers etc, now all students can download the past papers and mock exams for all SQA courses. The students can also get the school to print the stuff off if they do not have internet access or a printer.

Things are becoming a bit clearer to me now. If work requires a warrant, you need to "certify" the work. NICEIC and SELECT run schemes which the Scottish local authorties recognise as allowing registered members to "certify" work without requiring any other checks by the local authority. NAPIT do not run such a scheme.

Thus with NAPIT registration I can do installation work and issue EICRs but if I do work which requires a warrant, the installation certificate would have to be submitted to the local authority as part of a "completion certificate" for approval by the local authority.

So the question is do I need a warrant to change a CU in a flat?

Things are becoming a bit clearer to me now. If work requires a warrant, you need to "certify" the work. NICEIC and SELECT run schemes which the Scottish local authorties recognise as allowing registered members to "certify" work without requiring any other checks by the local authority. NAPIT do not run such a scheme.

Thus with NAPIT registration I can do installation work and issue EICRs but if I do work which requires a warrant, the installation certificate would have to be submitted to the local authority as part of a "completion certificate" for approval by the local authority.

So the question is do I need a warrant to change a CU in a flat?

....with a flat if it is associated with adjoining walls then a warrant is required.

As said, the Scottish government website actually details it quite well,...
Where is the work?

We don't know, where the work within the flat is, or if it's over 3 stories etc so can't give a definitive answer.

Reply to NAPIT registered in England - what work can I do in Scotland? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net