Discuss napit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It seems are lot of clients are specifying NIC only for their contracts,insurance work etc,so why do,nt Napit start inspecting commercial/industrial work on the annual visit,so they can claim their members are more than house bashers.Regards,Sinewove

It seems are lot of clients are specifying NIC only for their contracts,insurance work etc,so why do,nt Napit start inspecting commercial/industrial work on the annual visit,so they can claim their members are more than house bashers.Regards,Sinewove
They will inspect industrial and commercial if you have done any. If you register with NAPIT you are registered to work on all electrical systems.

Many years ago membership of/registration with (what ever you want to call it) of the NIC was a worthwhile goal, it was something which was not handed out like smarties at a childrens party, you had to be good to get it and the whole country (well certain sections of it) knew that. That's why organisations started to specify it.
Now however, if you have enough cash they will accept you. Sad but true.

You don't have to be registered with anyone to carry out any electrical work that falls under BS7671

No you don't, but it makes it a lot easier and more cost effective for domestic notifiable works. I know there is no requirement at all for comm & ind.

well i`m NIC approved contractor....and showed the assessor a range of domestic & commercial single & three phase works i had carried out...this included commercial condition reporting...but i was told that the approved contractor assessments didn`t have to necessarily have any commercial stuff in it..

so its a lie that you have to show commercial & industrial stuff on an approved contractor assessment....

Well that depends how much work you get that falls under LABC remit like new builds extensions etc. As yet to see a prosecution or something similar for "minor" works like DB changes which LABC wouldn't know is being done.

Well that depends how much work you get that falls under LABC remit like new builds extensions etc. As yet to see a prosecution or something similar for "minor" works like DB changes which LABC wouldn't know is being done.

I do on average 6 notifications a month. It is also not a decent thing to do to a customer (not notifying when required) as it causes issues when selling houses as solicitors ask for Building Regulations Compliance Certificates.

This is the exact reason I'm with niceic because most people favour them, the company my brother works for, they are a massive signage company with about a £30m turnover, they will only use NICEIC contractors.

Trev, Ah notice yee live in Sooth Shields, Ah went up there 15 years gan , went te Holy Island / Lindesfarne, an Bamburgh etc, it's canny wor there, wi always used te gan up tha way, nothumberland mainly.

Aye Aam a Sand Dancer. Ya taalkin aboot woolyback land there mind bonny lad.
Lindisfarne wor a canny band years agan tho. Had a sparks mate a few years back what used te drum fo thim

Has a couple of jobs today, one nice easy one putting lights up outside etc, the other one, the mcb kept flicking off intermittently... Hmm, when I got there it was off, checked IR and it was a nice fat 0.00 each way. Turned out someone had half cut through the twin and earth feeding an outside light pointing across the road (flood light), the neighbour clearly didn't like it. The two ends were just about together as it had been cut but not very well, I'm guessing the wind moved the cable and it tipped the breaker!

Took a while to find, wasn't expecting something like that.

Reply to napit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net