Discuss NE/SW Installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Any thoughts on installing a split system on North east and South West. Not sure about if the figures add up, being on house and having the cost of two scaffolds. Looking at 9 x 250watt on SW and 7 x 250watt on NE. Maybe use a power-one 3.0

Is it a nice, easy unshaded roof? Scaffolding company shouldn't charge double for a second scaffold.

If you can do 16 panels in a day on nice tiles, it may make sense. Once you've got your gear there, it's not much more work to do the second roof surface otherwise the roofing guys may be clocking off at lunchtime!

Thin film isn't a bad idea, if feasible. Wouldn't advise using a transformerless inverter with them though, although it is possible depending on module/inverter type. Polys prob best bet. PVI-3.0 maybe?

Unless you have a lot of room, I doubt thin-film would be a good option.

PV Sol Expert does do dual aspect modelling.

If you give me the location, panel you intend to use, inverter choice etc. then I'll model it for you when I get back from site later.

PVSOL does not do split systems. Power one string tool, don't allow for orientation. Roof only 10 degree from east

Hi Jason, not sure which PVSOL your on - but you can do twin array and model N/S arrays using a twin tracker - im on an old version 4.0 and can do it - hope this helps you.

Okay, first of all the inverter looks a bit undersized.

Anyway, I get a yield of 2,898kWh from that setup using Sleaford's climate data.

That works out at 1,696kWh from the south west array and 1,202kWh on the north east array.

For comparison reasons, if the inverter was changed for an Aurora 3.6 then the yield comes in at 2,878kWh - which surprised me and shows the importance of sizing inverters correctly.

For further comparison, to get a good idea of how 10 degrees towards north affects the yield, I also modelled this with 8 panels on both sides - the yield comes in at 2,881kWh with the SW array coming in at 1,506kWh and the NE array coming in at 1,375kWh.

The figures definitely seem to be stacking up.

The more panels you get on the south west roof, the yield increases (Maybe stating the obvious but from the figures I've posted, it seems to have a pretty big effect)

Reply to NE/SW Installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net