Discuss Near off-grid system: question on grid input in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My little house in Spain sits in the forest and has a little wire from the electricity supplier, 20 amps max. It's a fragile link, caught up in trees which fall down regularly.
I'm planning to renovate this house with lots of PV on the roof, and make it is independent as I can of the grid supply. Whether I can harvest enough power in winter is unknown, I have my suspicions.
Because I'm planning EV charging and several air con units, I need an internal supply of 60a or maybe higher. While I do need to upgrade the incoming, I want to minimise the power rating. Standing charges increase with power and the nearest pole transformer is half a kilometer away, so cabling costs are going to be significant.
Is it possible to have some circuits for the high power consumers which will only work from the battery banks and never try to draw from the grid? So that f the battery has insufficient charge, the demand will be switched off and the car won't be charged or the air con won't run. Can the rest of the house supply switch from battery to grid in times of need, designed within, say, a 40a supply.
If so, what's the kit needed to do it called, and are there any guides to system design? A grid-reconnect invertor is essential, too.

Anything is possible, not everything makes sense, though. It's more than feasible to design/assemble some custom controls to make A do something whilst B is doing something but not C.... etc. I think what you may find is that you end up needing so much space for battery storage and PV panels that you end up running out of house, especially if we're talking heavy-hitting items such as EV and Aircon. I've no knowledge of renewable schemes in Spain but I'm wondering if your most cost effective long term option might not be to just bite the bullet of getting a decent supply cable run in and then making the cost back by exporting as much energy as you can?

Reply to Near off-grid system: question on grid input in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net