Discuss Nearly 40 but about to apply for my first JIB Card ! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DESTIX

-
Reaction score
As the title says , been sparking since i was 17 but never got fully qualified as at that age i couldn't be bothered with the NVQ 3 or AM2, nobody cared back then and neither did I.

Last few years its been more of an issue, with my employer asking me repeatedly to get a JIB card....
Thought i would get it sorted before it becomes a major problem.

Anyway ive just completed the NVQ 3 2356 (waiting for cert) , which as far as i know has a deadline of December 31st
After which i would have had to complete the 2357 , which would have also involved the AM2.

About to start filling in the JIB ECS Card application form , so that its ready (signed by employer etc) when my 2356 cert arrives.

Basically id appreciate those more knowledgeable than myself to tell me if im on the right track and can now apply for an Approved Electricians card
My Current qualifications are -
2360 - PART 1 & 2
2382 - 17TH
2391 - INSPECTION & TESTING
2356 - NVQ 3
AM1

I completed my 2356 NVQ3 with XS Training , i would recommend them highly.

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark.

I believe if you have the 2360 parts 1 and 2, 2356 NVQ3, the current wiring regulations (2382) and the 2391 then you should be able to get an approved electricians gold card.

Alternatively the 2357, 2382 and 2391 will also meet the requirements.

Others may be better informed than me but this is my understanding at present.

As the title says , been sparking since i was 17 but never got fully qualified as at that age i couldn't be bothered with the NVQ 3 or AM2, nobody cared back then and neither did I.

Last few years its been more of an issue, with my employer asking me repeatedly to get a JIB card....
Thought i would get it sorted before it becomes a major problem.

Anyway ive just completed the NVQ 3 2356 (waiting for cert) , which as far as i know has a deadline of December 31st
After which i would have had to complete the 2357 , which would have also involved the AM2.

About to start filling in the JIB ECS Card application form , so that its ready (signed by employer etc) when my 2356 cert arrives.

Basically id appreciate those more knowledgeable than myself to tell me if im on the right track and can now apply for an Approved Electricians card
My Current qualifications are -
2360 - PART 1 & 2
2382 - 17TH
2391 - INSPECTION & TESTING
2356 - NVQ 3
AM1

I completed my 2356 NVQ3 with XS Training , i would recommend them highly.

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark.
Compaired with today's requirments you look over qualified.

Exact same qualifications as me. You will have a approved electricians card. I was in the same boat as you and didn't do the Nvq. I later did it with xs and now I have the Nvq and jib gold card. Well done pal

Not quite understanding, looking at your C&G the NVQ3 was not around then anyway.?
when the NVQs first came out if you had the 2360 parts 1 and 2 and experience you could send away for the NVQ, the 236 was of a high enough standard to meet the NVQ criteria, as mentioned the OP is more than qualified for his card, over qualified in fact.

when the NVQs first came out if you had the 2360 parts 1 and 2 and experience you could send away for the NVQ, the 236 was of a high enough standard to meet the NVQ criteria, as mentioned the OP is more than qualified for his card, over qualified in fact.
Hello Mike you ok fella, yeah that's what I thought just reading between the lines, did he have to do the NVQ to get his card.?

Hello Mike you ok fella, yeah that's what I thought just reading between the lines, did he have to do the NVQ to get his card.?
yeah I'm okay pal, regarding the NVQ and card bit, I think you need the NVQ to get it these days yeah, but if you have grandad rights like the OP it is easy to get the NVQ, just send away for it, I think the AM2 is required for it today though, years ago it wasn't needed.

I believe the NVQ was introduced the year I began my apprenticeship and college. I started college September 1994. There was lots of confusion over the NVQ. The lecturers in college were confused too. Some said you needed it some said you don't. Everyone in my class had finished part1 and 2 and left college without it. I tried to get a JIB card a few years ago and was told I need NVQ. So ended up biting the bullet and doing it through xs training. Got fully qualified but it took 20 years!!!

I believe the NVQ was introduced the year I began my apprenticeship and college. I started college September 1994. There was lots of confusion over the NVQ. The lecturers in college were confused too. Some said you needed it some said you don't. Everyone in my class had finished part1 and 2 and left college without it. I tried to get a JIB card a few years ago and was told I need NVQ. So ended up biting the bullet and doing it through xs training. Got fully qualified but it took 20 years!!!

Every word of that applies to me , i remember being handed the NVQ3 , cellophane wrapped paper fileblock....
I asked , do i really need this?
My tutor said no....into the fire it went!
Cost me a grand to do it this year....but at least it kept the fire going for 10 mins 20 years ago lol

Reply to Nearly 40 but about to apply for my first JIB Card ! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock