Discuss Nearly Too Old at 46 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

shefbengal

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi

46 year old here with a long background in IT and networking; plus a little Police work.

Looking to train initially to be able to so some basic non notifiable work to support a business idea , but wouldn’t rule out going to whole way !

Living in Sheffield now but originally from Hampshire.

Im hoping there are some other old codgers around :)

48 this year, but I’ve been doing this since I left school at 16.
A few years out of the game pursuing other interests, but back on the tools now.

You can get 18th edition short courses that will cover what you need, but can’t say myself how good they are.

Try NICEIC in Old Whittington Chesterfield.
Might not be the cheapest but you won't get false promises.
Browse the electrical courses, then ring them as they may be able to offer a package suited to you.

I did my Gassafe 5 year renewal there 3 times

43 , but most weeks I feel 63

Been around the electrical business since I left school , my dad was also in the electrical trade all his life in one capacity or another

In my 30s I tried sales for a company who wanted some new electrical smart items promoted but only lasted 18 months as I just found it boring going to site either showing them stuff or issue solving

The good thing with this trade you can either been on the tools or off the tools but still be around the building business. I know one guy I worked with who was a good sparks now fits garage roller doors. He can make more money selling and fitting doors than I do in a month.

i was 65 when i did the 17th. exam. age is just a number. it's your back and knees tell you when you are too old.

When you are 17 or 18 starting out every single older sparks will tell you to look after your back and knees.

By 40 your back and knees are shot and its now you now telling the 17 and 18 years old lads to look after their back and knees.

And the cycle continues

Having driven a desk the majority of my life (minus a few years in another profession) I'm not quite at the stage of my legs breaking- just my mind from boredom ! I have my mountain biking knee pads somewhere - I knew I would find a use :)

There are a few training places around Sheffield way (thanks for the Chesterfield one mention); - I will prob phone a couple and sound them out.

Certainly not looking for a miracle package with unrealistic expectations as to what I can do at the end of it. I don't think any of the local ones I have seen fall into that category,

I'm thinking perhaps a C&G 2365 Level 2 course while I study the 18th edition in my own time. I quite like the idea of starting off on a semi formal route in case I later have a head fit, and decide I do want to go the whole way.

Hopefully the 18th edition exam passed and recognised course(s) goes some way to demonstrate a basic level of competency for non notifiable work.

PS: I'm probably missing some stuff off above - no doubt there needs to be some testing training thrown in too.

At 46 you're still a youngster. You're never too old to try something new. I'm in a different field, mainly working on transformers at power stations. I'll be 60 in March and yes, the knees keep telling me to slow down but the mind doesn't want to.

Try NICEIC in Old Whittington Chesterfield.
Might not be the cheapest but you won't get false promises.
Browse the electrical courses, then ring them as they may be able to offer a package suited to you.

I did my Gassafe 5 year renewal there 3 times
I did my gassafe there in 2017, nice burger van outside

Reply to Nearly Too Old at 46 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net