Discuss Nearly x7 years experience as a mate, just need advise around getting qualified. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Pjoe79

Hi all,
I've had nearly x7 years experience as an electrician's mate working in domestic, industrial, and commercial jobs. I'm 34, and have worked hard constantly and always had people note how I can do just as good a job as any qualified sparky. I get sent to work independently, I know how to test and inspect, I can fault find, and I have installed solar panels. I just obviously can't sign off my own work, and would never get the level of pay of my colleagues who are qualified. Time just goes so quickly, and with the complacency of just getting my head down and working, I have just not got those certificates. It's a shame.
Now I'm married, I wish to start a family, I've got contacts who admire my quality of work and dedication to the trade, and companies who have scouted me but wish me to just get qualified.
Thing is, there's so many different courses available. You've got the trade skills 4 u, the local training centres, and online courses. They all offer 17th edition, part-p etc. But I've heard there are new regs saying if you just did these you wouldn't be qualified, not even as an domestic electric installer only.
Do you need test and inspect to sign off and test? Or is it just a course to learn how to test?
Would I need to do the NVQ?
Any advise appreciated.
Thank you.

i'm not 100% certain that you can do the nvq3 without the technical cert's. if i'm wrong someone'll put me straight.

you might have to do the new diploma that's out now (2357).

I have a mate who was in a similar situation, he just did his 17th Edition & then the inspection & test and went off on his own and to be honest he's done pretty well out of it. He learnt enough to be be perfectly capable of any domestic installation and troubleshoot

I have a mate who was in a similar situation, he just did his 17th Edition & then the inspection & test and went off on his own and to be honest he's done pretty well out of it. He learnt enough to be be perfectly capable of any domestic installation and troubleshoot

how long ago was this and what test course did he do ?

Reply to Nearly x7 years experience as a mate, just need advise around getting qualified. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net