Discuss Need 2-gang, single receptacle box cover for two 220v, 20 amp receptacles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DaveKP

DIY
Reaction score
I have two 220 volt receptacles (one L14-20 and one L6-20) that I want to mount next to one another in a standard two gang switch box. This would mean I also need a 2-gang, single receptacle box cover (two round holes next to one another, one in the center of each gang. I can find a 2-gang, single receptacle box cover, but only one with 1.4" holes, rather than 1.6" holes that I need for these two particular receptacles. I presume (but don't know) that the 1.6" hole size relates directly to the fact that the receptacles are designed for 20 amps and 220 volts (as opposed to 15 amps or 120 volts). I can find a single gang cover with the 1.6" holes but not a 2-gang cover with 1.6" holes. Why is that? I really don't want to buy two separate 1-gang boxes because I don't want to have to run wires between two separate boxes (let alone the extra expense). Do you know of anyone who sells the 2-gang, single receptacle box cover for 220v, 20 amp receptacles?

I have two 220 volt receptacles (one L14-20 and one L6-20) that I want to mount next to one another in a standard two gang switch box. This would mean I also need a 2-gang, single receptacle box cover (two round holes next to one another, one in the center of each gang. I can find a 2-gang, single receptacle box cover, but only one with 1.4" holes, rather than 1.6" holes that I need for these two particular receptacles. I presume (but don't know) that the 1.6" hole size relates directly to the fact that the receptacles are designed for 20 amps and 220 volts (as opposed to 15 amps or 120 volts). I can find a single gang cover with the 1.6" holes but not a 2-gang cover with 1.6" holes. Why is that? I really don't want to buy two separate 1-gang boxes because I don't want to have to run wires between two separate boxes (let alone the extra expense). Do you know of anyone who sells the 2-gang, single receptacle box cover for 220v, 20 amp receptacles?
Dave what are the two 240 vac receptacles currently being used for

The two original 240 vac receptacles do not currently exist
You perhaps didn't see my followup message on the same topic wherein I was describing why I am attempting to install two new 240 vac receptacles. This is to replace an original setup on a very old table saw that is not only not working, but is antiquated and is unsafe (inadequately grounded).
I have given up on my original quest to have two 240 vac receptacles next to one another in a 2-gang switch box. The cover for such a setup simply does not exist. So I am reluctantly using two single bang switch boxes mounted onto the supporting steel frame of the saw table, along with a magnetic switch in its own switch box. I have not put everything together but have acquired the parts.
I was just a little confounded by then being able to find what I was originally looking for. I guess it is so rare that someone would be doing what I am trying to do, that they just don't make things that way as standard stock. That is OK. Not the first time that has happened. Won't be the last. I can improvise with what is available. Going with the flow!

The two original 240 vac receptacles do not currently exist

You perhaps didn't see my followup message on the same topic wherein I was describing why I am attempting to install two new 240 vac receptacles. This is to replace an original setup on a very old table saw that is not only not working, but is antiquated and is unsafe (inadequately grounded).
I have given up on my original quest to have two 240 vac receptacles next to one another in a 2-gang switch box. The cover for such a setup simply does not exist. So I am reluctantly using two single bang switch boxes mounted onto the supporting steel frame of the saw table, along with a magnetic switch in its own switch box. I have not put everything together but have acquired the parts.
I was just a little confounded by then being able to find what I was originally looking for. I guess it is so rare that someone would be doing what I am trying to do, that they just don't make things that way as standard stock. That is OK. Not the first time that has happened. Won't be the last. I can improvise with what is available. Going with the flow!
Dave good luck my friend you will figure out something

Reply to Need 2-gang, single receptacle box cover for two 220v, 20 amp receptacles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net