Discuss Need a deeper back box, what are my options? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've swapped out a traditional switch for a smart switch. As you can see, the back box is nice and full, there's no chance it'd fit and I don't fancy pushing my luck and squashing everything.

I think there's breeze block right behind this box so I don't think chipping away for the additional depth is an option. Before I bin this new switch, are there any options around this?

I'm happy to stick a blanking plate on the front of it and make a second hole to house this smart switch and just the cables it needs, but not sure if that's a common approach or even if I can get everything I need to that second back box without it being busy again.

backbox.jpg

Any advice appreciated.

As above refit the old switch until better times, cables entering the top and bottom makes it a bit more tricky so expect some refinishing of the wall.

Last edited:
Thanks both!

You're right, electrician will be booked in as soon as this madness blows over.

In the meantime though someone sent me a link to a spacer which is a great idea so might look into that. Would need to be at least 20mm but I'm sure I can find one.

Reactions: DPG
Or two at 10mm.... a couple of long screws and you’re good to go.

good to see a smart switch question that doesn’t start “help, I need a neutral!”

Or two at 10mm.... a couple of long screws and you’re good to go.

good to see a smart switch question that doesn’t start “help, I need a neutral!”

haha god knows why I didn't think of that! Brilliant.

Thanks!

Don't worry, I went through my "I need a neutral" pain a couple of weeks ago! You'll notice there's no neutral going into that smart switch. It works on wizardry.

EDIT: I did notice there's a neutral there available to me, but there wasn't elsewhere and wanted my switches to match.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Need a deeper back box, what are my options? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net