Discuss Need advice about getting into the trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am currently looking to change careers at the moment. I have done my level 2 and level 3 City & Guilds at college. But I have been finding really challenging, trying to gain experience.

Would I be right in saying the only way to get into this line of work is an apprenticeship? or if you have a dad or uncle who is a spark.

I am 29 years old so an apprenticeship is out of the question, as I can't really afford to live on 15k a year.

Have I wasted my money doing level 2 and 3 at college?

Any advice is appreciated.

Mornen,

You haven’t wasted your time, the hardest bit will always be gaining experience in the trade. Email companies, apply through job sites like indeed etc and have you tried agencies?

It will come.

what he says ^^^. and if you post your location, there are certain members looking for electricians/improvers/mates

Before quitting your day job unless you can afford to do so , offer your Saturdays to local sparks to see if they have any work you can do.
It might take you years to build up experience but once you feel ready then you could go self deployed or apply for electrical maintenance jobs etc

I was fortunate I still lived at home so did the apprentice route which took about 4 years iirc

Reply to Need advice about getting into the trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock