Discuss Need advice on fuseboard change... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Casper53

Hi all. Iam stumpped here, changed a fuseboard this morning but two keep tripping.

The cooker circuit fine when i put on the double pole switch but as soon as i go to turn it on it automatically trips at the RCD? Opended everthing up and can't see anything wrong anywere. What could it be??

Also one shower circuit is playing up. Get power to it fine but as soon as I turn that on RCD trips but get this.. When i switch it back off the power light on the shower and double pole switch is lit! Again any ideas?

Iam struggling big time here guys, first fuse board I have changed so not really clued up in it all.
Any help greatly appreciated.

sounds like you've got some dodgy wiring. disconnect the suspect circuits from the board, open up the othar end and do R1+R2 and IR tests. ( you've not got any crossed neutrals in the board, have you? )

sounds like you've got some dodgy wiring. disconnect the suspect circuits from the board, open up the othar end and do R1+R2 and IR tests. ( you've not got any crossed neutrals in the board, have you? )

Sorry this is going to sound daft, but what do you mean crossed the neutrals??

Are you sure the neutral from the cooker and the neutral from the shower circuit are in the correct neutral bars? Sounds like they could be the wrong way round.

Are you sure the neutral from the cooker and the neutral from the shower circuit are in the correct neutral bars? Sounds like they could be the wrong way round.

Yeah they are in the right hand side bar with the breakers on that side of the board.

With my busbar across the bottom that i put in to the terminations am I right to not connect that into the neutral of the RCD?

each RCD has it's own neutral. the neutral of each circuit on that RCD must go in the same neutral bar as the RCD feeds. or you'll have problems.

each RCD has it's own neutral. the neutral of each circuit on that RCD must go in the same neutral bar as the RCD feeds. or you'll have problems.

Yeah i have checked and double checked that they are going to there own bar.

Yeah they are in the right hand side bar with the breakers on that side of the board.

With my busbar across the bottom that i put in to the terminations am I right to not connect that into the neutral of the RCD?
Of course you don't put the busbar in the Neutral.

Picture of inside of CU would be good.

Also one shower circuit is playing up. Get power to it fine but as soon as I turn that on RCD trips but get this.. When i switch it back off the power light on the shower and double pole switch is lit! Again any ideas?
So do you mean the shower light and switch light were on before you turned on the shower?

I assume the switch is on - so that is how it should be.
Perhaps the shower has a light to indicate there is power to it - so that would be how it should be.

So do you mean the shower light and switch light were on before you turned on the shower?

I assume the switch is on - so that is how it should be.
Perhaps the shower has a light to indicate there is power to it - so that would be how it should be.

Power goes to the shower, when I turn it on the RCD at the board trips, then without putting the RCD back on I put the shower off and the ligh indicating power comes back on!

shower wired across L and E???

Chased out the entire shower circuit and can't find anything atol wrong with it :thumbs_down::thumbs_down:

Reply to Need advice on fuseboard change... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock