Discuss Need advice on how to start working in the trade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for advice from you guys who know the trade from inside out, I'm 24 years of age and just finished my Level 2 for electrical installations and also have done my 18th edition and building regs will be progressing onto Level 3 now.
The course I did was a 6-weekend course which I started in 2019 because of the pandemic it was all slowed down and couldn't attend the practical sessions but finally manage to pass all my exams and practicals with good grades. Level 3 will be more intense as there are weekdays and loads of practical work involved.

My question is how would you guys go about getting a job would you just stick to looking for domestic work or would you go through an agency and do commercial/industrial. I've tried rining many sparks around my area asking for work and also sent out many emails but didn't much interest, is there any tips you would have on how to go about getting work or anything someone might be looking for when employing someone and giving them a chance. I cant start agency work for now as I'm waiting for my certs to come through and cant apply for an Ecs card, for now, I'm just struggling to think of ways how to sell myself so I can get a chance to be employed, I just want to start work as soon as possible as I hate my current job.

Thank you for any kind of tips and information anything would be appreciated

going back to when i started out i reckon i rang and wrote letters ( yes we wrote actual letters back then ) to around 90 electrical contractors in about a 30 mile radius of where i lived.
i had already started my 2360 course and eventually go an apprecticeship offer from a company , who i ended up working for about 6 or 7 years

you have to keep knocking on doors , sending emails , phone calls and eventually opportunity will knock

Attack the mates job offers. Make sure your CV stands out, keeping it simple and adding pictures of yourself and your cards etc makes it easier for an employer to judge you.

Getting your testing and inspection will greatly help imo, as will ECS/CSCS card and IPAF licences if you want to go on site.

Hello, I'm looking for advice from you guys who know the trade from inside out, I'm 24 years of age and just finished my Level 2 for electrical installations and also have done my 18th edition and building regs will be progressing onto Level 3 now.
The course I did was a 6-weekend course which I started in 2019 because of the pandemic it was all slowed down and couldn't attend the practical sessions but finally manage to pass all my exams and practicals with good grades. Level 3 will be more intense as there are weekdays and loads of practical work involved.

My question is how would you guys go about getting a job would you just stick to looking for domestic work or would you go through an agency and do commercial/industrial. I've tried rining many sparks around my area asking for work and also sent out many emails but didn't much interest, is there any tips you would have on how to go about getting work or anything someone might be looking for when employing someone and giving them a chance. I cant start agency work for now as I'm waiting for my certs to come through and cant apply for an Ecs card, for now, I'm just struggling to think of ways how to sell myself so I can get a chance to be employed, I just want to start work as soon as possible as I hate my current job.

hey
get into fire and security lad dont do domestic spark people will always complain about you making a mess

Go and put ads in all your local electrical wholesalers. Sign on with agency. Remember to photo/journal all of your work. I don't know what course you are doing but it may be that when you finish your third year you are not qualified to be an electrician. I don't know if you are aware but there have been changes to the entry requirements to the trade. You will be needing to do a portfolio and AM2 does your course include that?

you got to keep plugging away mate. I am in the same position as you training to become qualified but managed to find a few electricians who I work with on and off to gain experience. I found them by constantly ringing the same ones up and eventually they liked the persistence (even though annoying) and took me on board with some of their rewiring jobs

Reply to Need advice on how to start working in the trade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net