Discuss Need Advice on Part P with newly wired extension not installed by myself in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DMS2014

I would like to say that for the last 8 years i have not worked in the domestic installation environment and have recently been tasked to sign off a new house extension (for one of the bosses family) and produce a EIC so that it can be signed off by building inspectors.

Back story -

A spark i have never met and hasn't been seen in over a 6months has been and installed new sockets and lighting into the extension that now comprises of a new kitchen and hallway area. Because he has extended the ring into the kitchen he should have installed some RCD protection which he has not done. This works is also notifiable under Part P (i believe). I think that 'we' should change the CU which is also notifiable for PART P to give RCD protection and a safer environment to the home owner in general.
We carried out a PIR and everything was fine bar the new work wasn't protected by RCD and the Gas and Water supplies have the wrong sized bonding conductor to them.

So the installation work was not carried out by me/us, the electrician has disappeared, the entire installation tests out ok bar in my opinion the CU needs changing and the bonding upgrading.

If i was to notify (part p) of a consumer unit change, carry out the works and issue an EIC to the home owner would it be acceptable for buildings inspectors to sign off the new extension although 'we' haven't installed it and don't fully know whether the building authority was notified to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. If you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask.

DMS

I would like to say that for the last 8 years i have not worked in the domestic installation environment and have recently been tasked to sign off a new house extension (for one of the bosses family) and produce a EIC so that it can be signed off by building inspectors.

Back story -

A spark i have never met and hasn't been seen in over a 6months has been and installed new sockets and lighting into the extension that now comprises of a new kitchen and hallway area. Because he has extended the ring into the kitchen he should have installed some RCD protection which he has not done. This works is also notifiable under Part P (i believe). I think that 'we' should change the CU which is also notifiable for PART P to give RCD protection and a safer environment to the home owner in general.
We carried out a PIR and everything was fine bar the new work wasn't protected by RCD and the Gas and Water supplies have the wrong sized bonding conductor to them.

So the installation work was not carried out by me/us, the electrician has disappeared, the entire installation tests out ok bar in my opinion the CU needs changing and the bonding upgrading.

If i was to notify (part p) of a consumer unit change, carry out the works and issue an EIC to the home owner would it be acceptable for buildings inspectors to sign off the new extension although 'we' haven't installed it and don't fully know whether the building authority was notified to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. If you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask.

DMS

Hi, you should renew the ccu & include upgrading of the main earth bonds.
You should issue a new installation certificate, as you are installing a new ccu, which will include a full test of the installation.
You should notify (Part P) the ccu upgrade.
The building inspector will only be looking for the new extension wiring circuits & ccu upgrade if applicable, on the cert.
So yes, even though you didn't wire the extension, you have verified the existing wiring & new ccu, complies with the current IET regulations!

If you sign that important piece of paper and the brown hits the fan, you'll be first in the firing line. If you change over the CU then put that down on the EIC you issue, but in regards to the new install in the extension, see if BC will accept an EICR with all the relevant tests recorded, not a good chance they will accept it but i've been in that position before and I had to do a bit of persuading but it worked in the end, hopefully they have a decent inspector onboard

As above EICR only for the work the other spark did and a EIC for the CCU change if you go ahead as he says if you sign a EIC then basically its like you have done it so if out goes wrong it will be eg on your face speak the the Building inspector see what they recommend

As stated above I would replace CU and upgrade bonding but put on the certificate that you did not do the work in the extension but that it was done by another [name him] and that he has not certified or notified the work.

If you change the CU and upgrade bonding and provide an EIC for that work only that will obviously include test results for existing circuits.As far as you are concerned the extension wiring is an existing circuit.. Quite frankly I doubt very much whether BC will be that bothered that they will even check the actual detail on the cert,they just want to see one. It will be 'signed off' but your liablity will only extend to the work you have carried out.

If you change the CU and upgrade bonding and provide an EIC for that work only that will obviously include test results for existing circuits.As far as you are concerned the extension wiring is an existing circuit.. Quite frankly I doubt very much whether BC will be that bothered that they will even check the actual detail on the cert,they just want to see one. It will be 'signed off' but your liablity will only extend to the work you have carried out.

Last BC inspector I met ran his hand along the plaster and said "nice finish", drank his tea and left

Last BC inspector I met ran his hand along the plaster and said "nice finish", drank his tea and left

Yesterday, I was first-fixing the lighting in a house where the kitchen and dining room were being knocked together. The building inspector called to check whether the new steel was in place and what sort of plasterboard was being used to clad it. Took no interest in who was doing the electrics or whether it was being done to a good standard. He wasn't in the house more than 30 seconds.

Reply to Need Advice on Part P with newly wired extension not installed by myself in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net