Discuss Need advice please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Neil-b

Right i have been a marine engineer, maintainace engineer and a mechanic since i have left school. I am now 31.
I am wanting to get into the electrical field and finding all these courses confusing. I am in a full time job at the moment and really cannot give it up to go to collage full time etc.
I would like to know are there any home learning or night course that i can do to get me started.
Many jobs i have seen in the maintainance industry you need the 16th edition how much does this cousre cost etc.

Just looking for a little bump forward on this as i am guessing it is going to cost thousands which i do not have to get a carrer in something i want.

Reagrds Neil

Hi Neil,
You can enrol on a local c&g course calledelectricla installation 2330 part 2 and 3. It will give you a good grounding over 2 evenings a week for 3 years and at the end of the course you can class yourself as 'qualified'. Approx costs are £1000 per year. On my course, out of 16 only three of us work in the trade and those that want to get in can't get in as it is very competitive. My advice is to get a job as an electrical mate or labourer and then enrol at college. You will learn a million times more on-site but without the qualification it is all worthless really.

alright neil B
I think what cirrus says is about right,in my opinion if I was to do it again I would try and get a job with an electricians mate, get your experience up, you cant buy experience can you? then after a while of learning the basics, either goto college or go for the 16th edition course.

regards Luke

Thanks all i will take this into consideration. Just can belive how hard it is to get into the business, The last thing i want to do is become a labourer again. Will be like being back on day release

It is surprisingly difficult to break into. I know friends doing the 2330 course and in their final year they have sent nearly 200 job applications out each!

Bloody hell makes you wonder is it worth all the training and not being able to get a job after it all

this is weird guys,

Some of my Domestic installer students are getting jobs straight away - even wiereder (is that a word?!) they are getting jobs in commercial/industrial environments, and this before they get their regs.

7 days of training against years in college? You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Neil,

no guarantees, and it depends where you are

I am simply stating that the people i teach on the 7 day EAL Domestic Installer course have a good success rate of finding employment quickly!

Do need to do the 16th edition before i can do the 17th. How long do these courses take as well. Shame they cannot be done from home.

I hear what you are saying Tony but you must live in an area rich in work as certainly in Gloucestershire, it is very, very difficult for experienced sparks to find work let alone peeps who have done 3 years at college. I think there would be little or no chance of someone who has done 7 days on a course getting a job at all here! I am in my last few weeks of my level 3 2330 and out of 16 only 3 of us work in the trade. 13 others want to but there simply aren't employers out there willing to take a punt on the 'mature' student.

Do need to do the 16th edition before i can do the 17th. How long do these courses take as well. Shame they cannot be done from home.

Neil,

bit confused about what you mean about needing to do the 16th beofre you can do the 17th. Certainly C&G 2381, as the 16th edition is only available for a few more weeks, as 2382 goes live 1st Feb. Why arent you doing the 17th straight off?

i will be teaching the 17th edition full course the same as i do the 16th, and that's tree days at a cost of £495

Right thanks for that i am new to all these course and though you had to do the 16th and update it with the 17th. So i can now look at doing the 17th stright of now which is good news.

Is this a course that can be done from home Tony as well.

Sorry for all the questions.

Neil,

I know there are companys that sell a home learning pack, but you would still have to go to a C&G approved training centre to take the exam.

dont know how much the home learning is, but to be honest, if you are knew to this you may find it a struggle. My students are sitting in front of me for three days solid and they are bouncing questions off me and each other.

Best of luck

My suggestion would be to sit the 17th oncer you have suitable experience on site and in college or like Tony says, you will find it a struggle and maybe even blow your mind!

When I had the time and the money to train as an electrician, I contacted NICEIC and was told that a 5 yr apprenticeship was the only way to qualify, so I gave up the idea.

Where I live, in rural Scotland, we are desperately short of qualified electricians - in my area there's one who works as much as he wants to, and another, 20 miles away, with a minimum 9 month waiting list but who won't travel 20 miles anyway.
The rest of the electrical work, legal issues notwithstanding, is done by general builders or homeowners. I had to learn how to extend a ringmain myself just to get it done, then waited 2 yrs til an electrician moved into my area who could check it.

No jobs? Work for yourself - there's loads of work out there.

Or is that not acceptable?

Of course you can work for yourself but it brings a lot of risks and you have to be sure that you have steady work. Not all areas are short of work like your area in Scotland. Take where I live for example, there are at least 10 Major (30 + sparks) firms withing a 5 mile radius so right from the word go you are competing with them. Then there is advertising, trying to get word of mouth business built up etc....
I desperately want to work for myself but with the ridiculous mortgages we have in the south it ain't an easy thing to embark upon.

Reply to Need advice please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock