Discuss Need dedicated circuit for water heater, range, dryer? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Someone wants me to put a water heater(30 amps), range(40-50 amps) and dryer(30 amps) all on a single 60 amp circuit. I said that's a bad idea.

They have a 100 amp main panel and all these devices would total 100 amps minimum. I am hesitant to run all these off the 100 amp service even with dedicated breakers. I know it's unlikely they will all be running at the same time, but it's going to happen some day.

The main panel is on the opposite side of the house from where the appliances will be, so would have to run over the roof or underground around the house.

My options as I see them:

Run a 100 amp breaker/circuit from the main panel to a subpanel then distribute to the appliances with the proper breakers for each. I don't like this.

Run individual circuits with their own breakers to each appliance from the main panel. I don't like this either.

It is my view that that they need to upgrade to a 200 amp main service panel if they are really determined to go this route. Something I don't really want to get into.

Any insights to share on this situation?

Someone wants me to put a water heater(30 amps), range(40-50 amps) and dryer(30 amps) all on a single 60 amp circuit. I said that's a bad idea.

They have a 100 amp main panel and all these devices would total 100 amps minimum. I am hesitant to run all these off the 100 amp service even with dedicated breakers. I know it's unlikely they will all be running at the same time, but it's going to happen some day.

The main panel is on the opposite side of the house from where the appliances will be, so would have to run over the roof or underground around the house.

Run a 100 amp breaker/circuit from the main panel to a subpanel then distribute to the appliances with the proper breakers for each. I don't like this.

Run individual circuits with their own breakers to each appliance from the main panel. I don't like this either.

It is my view that that they need to upgrade to a 200 amp main service panel if they are really determined to go this route. Something I don't really want to get into.

Don't forget about diversity. So the main fuse for the property is 100A.

100 amp panel, 100 amp main breaker.
If you've got a 100amp main fuse in the service head, the correct size tails to the consumer unit and a 100amp main switch then there is no problem in running the correct sized cables protected by the correct sized and type of protective device for each circuit. Also as you've said you can run a sub main from the consumer unit with the correct sized cable and protective device to a more convenient position and then run separate circuits from that.

If you've got a 100amp main fuse in the service head, the correct size tails to the consumer unit and a 100amp main switch then there is no problem in running the correct sized cables protected by the correct sized and type of protective device for each circuit. Also as you've said you can run a sub main from the consumer unit with the correct sized cable and protective device to a more convenient position and then run separate circuits from that.
You could run a single circuit but the cable would be to big to fit into the terminals, if it tripped everything would stop working. Its not best practice and you'd have to ware a spurs top whilst you did it.

Doesn't sound too bad two 32a circuits and a 40 seperately. No diversity for the water heater, 23a fro the range and dryer mhmm not too sure but seems ok on the surface of what you say. SO a submain supplied by a swa? Of course the distance would make a difference and installation method but doable. But depends on what else is on the cut-out i.e. five showers, two cookers, six welders mmmm maybe not.

Worth mentioning that the OP is in the US.

Worth mentioning that the OP is in the US.
Could have sworn I posted on the US forum...?

Thanks for all the responses. What I really need to know is what my options are to meet code in the US.

There's no problem running off a panel that clearly doesn't have the capacity for all these appliances plus the rest of the house? I can't help but feel like that wouldn't meet code, I wouldn't want to do it on my own house.

SO a submain supplied by a swa?
Yes, I'm thinking a 100 amp circuit to a subpanel, distribute from there to all the appliances, which are very close to each other.

I’ve worked on many houses with a 100 amp panel with the same loads with no problem. You can not add up the rating of the breakers because it usually more than 100 or 200 amps depending on the size of the panel. The breakers are sized by what we call the calculated load and the wiring is your actual connected load. It wouldn’t be bad to upgrade so you can add an SPD to protect surges which is required by the 2020 edition of the NEC.

I’ve worked on many houses with a 100 amp panel with the same loads with no problem. You can not add up the rating of the breakers because it usually more than 100 or 200 amps depending on the size of the panel. The breakers are sized by what we call the calculated load and the wiring is your actual connected load. It wouldn’t be bad to upgrade so you can add an SPD to protect surges which is required by the 2020 edition of the NEC.
Run dedicated circuits to every appliance and no sharing. By code each appliance needs it own dedicated circuit.

Reply to Need dedicated circuit for water heater, range, dryer? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock