Discuss Need electrician advice - Replaced light switch successfully, but no power in other areas connected to same breaker panel switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

George B

DIY
Reaction score
Yesterday, I replaced a light switch (as I've done several times before). When I turned the breaker panel back on, the light was working - but now the other lights connected to that same breaker panel do not work. I re-checked all connections and reset the GFI (the outlet works) but no luck with the other lights. Volt meter confirmed that no power is running into the switchboxes of the downstream switches. Any suggestions appreciated.

Were the neutrals at the switch you replaced.

Hi - if you’ve before and after pics they would help us :) .

Hi - if you’ve before and after pics they would help us :) .
Here's a pic showing the replaced switch (with ground wire on top and the other 2 wires). This light is now working. It's the other downstream switches (attached to the same breaker switch) that have no power.Need electrician advice - Replaced light switch successfully, but no power in other areas connected to same breaker panel switch Replaced Switch Connections - EletriciansForums.net

How many ways is that switch and where does the black connected to the green ground terminal go, that could be an optical illusion on a second look.

Last edited:
How many ways is that switch and where does the black connected to the green ground terminal go.
It's a simple "on/off" switch (is that what you mean?).
The black wire connected to the green ground terminal is connected into the wall. I just confirmed with the volt meter that there's no current in that wire.

How many switches are there two, switching two lights?
When you say connected into the wall what does that mean.

Looks like you have two switches have you only replaced one. How many neutrals in that wire nut, four?

Looks like you have two switches have you only replaced one.
I replaced the single light switch in the hall, which is now working.
The other double switch is located in the next room (but on the same circuit). It is the one that is not working as a result of replacing the first switch in the hall - I opened it only to examine and test voltage.

So the switch you are showing isn't the one you replaced, if not can you show the one you did replace.

Reactions: DPG
So the switch you are showing isn't the one you replaced, if not can you show the one you did replace.
This is the one that I replaced. Sorry for the confusion.
[automerge]1585249200[/automerge]
This is the one that I replaced. Sorry for the confusion.
This shows the wires connected to the switchplate.

Attachments

• Need electrician advice - Replaced light switch successfully, but no power in other areas connected to same breaker panel switch Replaced Switch - EletriciansForums.net
    Replaced Switch.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Need electrician advice - Replaced light switch successfully, but no power in other areas connected to same breaker panel switch replaced wires - EletriciansForums.net
    replaced wires.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You have connected one of the hots to the green ground terminal, I assume that is coming from one of the cables. Three neutrals indicate a supply cable in, a supply cable out and a cable to the light that switch is controlling. If this is the case two of the hots need connecting together to maintain the supply to the lights which no longer function.

You have connected one of the hots to the green ground terminal, I assume that is coming from one of the cables. Three neutrals indicate a supply cable in, a supply cable out and a cable to the light that switch is controlling. If this is the case two of the hots need connecting together to maintain the supply to the lights which no longer function.
I tested the wire connected to the green ground terminal and it is not hot - which leads me to believe that the wire is connected properly.
The light controlled by this switch is now working. It is the other switches that have stopped working as a result of replacing this switch.
Any other suggestions?

It is not hot because it is supplying the other lights hence they do not work. I am almost certain it needs connecting to one of the other blacks, the correct one will make the others live, the incorrect one will make the others live when that switch is on but off when it is off.

It is not hot because it is supplying the other lights hence they do not work. I am almost certain it needs connecting to one of the other blacks, the correct one will make the others live, the incorrect one will make the others live when that switch is on but off when it is off.
Thank you - appreciate your input. I will try it now and keep you posted.

Turn the switch you have replaced off to avoid confusion.

No worries mate glad is sorted. Stay safe in uncertain times.

Reply to Need electrician advice - Replaced light switch successfully, but no power in other areas connected to same breaker panel switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock