Discuss Need help adding light switch and outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

IMoxey

DIY
Reaction score
Hey everyone - new here, thought I would give this a try ..

I would like to add an outlet under the sink that is connected to a switch that turns it on and off.

I currently have an outlet and a switch above the counter where I would like to swap the outlet out for a switch - then wire the new outlet to the switch for control. I know the general ideas of DIY electrical idea, but I can't seem to grasp the idea of how to add this switch - more so, how it would even work given the current wiring.

Ive attached a very crude drawing of the current box - the outlet on the right is what I would like to swap out for a switch, then after that, add an outlet controlled by the new switch.

Any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Need help adding light switch and outlet IMG_9258.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_9258.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 9
Just a query first .
You wrote “light” at the top of the drawing. Are you saying that the power is coming from a lighting circuit or is this an output from the sockets?
This potentially means that the amount of power available through the wiring may not be suitable for the equipment that you want to connect to your new socket.
So it is better to start with :
Where is the power coming from ?
Is the distribution fuse of correct size
What are you wanting to use your new socket for?
Is the source cable of the correct core size for the load?
Where is the switch for the socket you are replacing? Do you need to do away with it ?
Are you keeping the existing switch and one socket above the counter ?
It is not good to assume all is ok until the questions are resolved but as
i am a diyer,
You would replace the socket with a fused switch spur box and take a cable from it to the new socket or

replace the socket with an RCD spur box (either active or passive depending on purpose) and take the cable to the socket.

best to reply to the questions as others will be able to comment

also you say socket to be replaced is on the right but there are two sockets one on top of the other.

you would take the power to the new switch from the feed to the existing switch input possibly by putting in a junction box before the switch

Last edited:
Just a query first .
You wrote “light” at the top of the drawing. Are you saying that the power is coming from a lighting circuit?
This potentially means that the amount of power available through the wiring may not be suitable for the equipment that you want to connect to your new socket.
Is the distribution fuse of ghe
Where is the switch for the socket you are replacing? Do you need to do away with it ?
i am a diyer,
You would replace the socket with a fused switch spur box and take a cable from it to the new socket or

replace the socket with an RCD spur box (either active or passive depending on purpose) and take the cable to the socket.

Thanks for the reply!

The 'light' on the top of the diagram is just a fixture. The switch in the box (left side) controls the light.

Power coming from the circuit breaker and its first stop is the outlet in the diagram (So the right side of the diagram .. the power entering from the breaker box)

Is the distribution fuse of ghe
Not sure

Garbage disposal

Yes

There is no switch for the outlet. The switch in the box controls a light fixture.

Just a query first .
You wrote “light” at the top of the drawing. Are you saying that the power is coming from a lighting circuit or is this an output from the sockets?
Is the distribution fuse of correct size
Are you keeping the existing switch and one socket above the counter ?
i am a diyer,

also you say socket to be replaced is on the right but there are two sockets one on top of the other.

you would take the power to the new switch from the feed to the existing switch input possibly by putting in a junction box before the switch
Or to guess another possible solution:
Leave the current switch permanently on .
Replace an existing socket with switch built in socket and the other with a fused spur to the socket under the counter.

Now I’ve read your reply.
power comes from circuit breaker to sockets. Run cable from input to sockets sockets to under counter and fit a fused spur box or rcd
Run cable from fused spur to garbage disposal .

sorry for confusion

Now I’ve read your reply.
power comes from circuit breaker to sockets. Run cable from input to sockets sockets to under counter and fit a fused spur box or rcd
Run cable from fused spur to garbage disposal .

sorry for confusion
Please note the OP is from the States and what we consider okay in the UK (that rhymes) may not be the case there.

Or to guess another possible solution:
Leave the current switch permanently on .
Replace an existing socket with switch built in socket and the other with a fused spur to the socket under the counter.
I checked and one waste disposer insists that the switch is above the counter.
so take the socket input from the circuit breaker and as you suggested replace one socket with a switch and wire it from the input . So there is a common input to both the socket and the new switch.

you showed two wires in your diagram. In the U.K. we need an earth wire as well .

I hadn’t noticed that your from USA and I don’t know your building regs.

Hey everyone - new here, thought I would give this a try ..

I would like to add an outlet under the sink that is connected to a switch that turns it on and off.

I currently have an outlet and a switch above the counter where I would like to swap the outlet out for a switch - then wire the new outlet to the switch for control. I know the general ideas of DIY electrical idea, but I can't seem to grasp the idea of how to add this switch - more so, how it would even work given the current wiring.

Ive attached a very crude drawing of the current box - the outlet on the right is what I would like to swap out for a switch, then after that, add an outlet controlled by the new switch.

Any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
It can be done but you need a cable from the existing outlet to the place where you want to add the receptacle. Use the 120vac which is already available in the box on the counter. Being on the counter it should be GFCI protected and you possibly have more outlets beyond where you want add the switch

Reply to Need help adding light switch and outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock