Discuss Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

At least it has been narrowed down so that the other circuits can be switched on. Now the electrician needs to get his insulation resistance tester out ( he has got one hasn't he?).
Was socket front plates been changed on this circuit?
No idea if he has one? The socket face plates was replaced on this circuit and one was upgraded from a single to a double socket? Do you think that could have been the problem?

if it wasn't tripping before, and it's tripping now, he's made a cock-up. we all do it sometime, but finding it and fixing it should not take any spark with more than 2 brain cells more than an hour or so. ( less if the pub's about to open. :mad::(:eek:o_O

No idea if he has one? The socket face plates was replaced on this circuit and one was upgraded from a single to a double socket? Do you think that could have been the problem?

Possible, but inspection and testing will verify this one way or the other.

time this thread has been running, i could have drove down to wilting land, fixed the fault, had a skinful, spent the night with a gorgeous blonde, and still been back for @er indoors' full english brekky. :D:D:D

Possible, but inspection and testing will verify this one way or the other.

Thank you for your help! I have called another electrician but he can’t come out until Tuesday sadly, if the insulation resistance test comes out not good, what would be the problem? Would it need a re-wire for that circuit? He’s undone all his work but can’t seem to find the underlying problem as of why it is still tripping?

only a test of the circuit will determine the problem. it's most likely at 1 of the sockets he's worked on and the wiring, if pvc, might probably be fine. first find and rectify the fault, then test the circuit for integrity.

Thank you for your help! I have called another electrician but he can’t come out until Tuesday sadly, if the insulation resistance test comes out not good, what would be the problem? Would it need a re-wire for that circuit? He’s undone all his work but can’t seem to find the underlying problem as of why it is still tripping?

If he's not got a insulation resistance tester then he is not an electrician worth employing.

If hes undone all his work and cannot find the problem visually then, to be fair to him, it may not be his work, it may be a coincidence. That said, if he has a IR tester the next procedure is to test each cable from the bit hes done to see which cable is at fault.

Worst case is that one part of the circuit may need a rewire.

Exactly my thoughts when it was mentioned, I have spoken to a second electrician and his judgment on the situation is there has been an break in the cable at some point caused by overload and it maybe needs rewiring, he’s coming to do an insulation resistance test Tuesday.

Hard to believe it was caused by overload as it was perfectly working fine until face plates was changed.

Saddenining things that’s the ringmain that powers all single sockets in the property so pretty much a rewire through the whole property

why a rewire if there's only a simple fault either in back of a socket or in 1 section of cable?

Hard to believe it was caused by overload as it was perfectly working fine until face plates was changed.

Saddenining things that’s the ringmain that powers all single sockets in the property so pretty much a rewire through the whole property
You are not listening to any of the advice you are getting on here!
There is a fair chance that there is a simple fault that any reasonable electrician could find. Somehow you have been in touch with two blokes who's first ideas have been that it needs a rewire. Get someone who can test the installation for you and advise you appropriately, as I said in my previous post you should be doing this before letting the property out anyway.

You are not listening to any of the advice you are getting on here!
There is a fair chance that there is a simple fault that any reasonable electrician could find. Somehow you have been in touch with two blokes who's first ideas have been that it needs a rewire. Get someone who can test the installation for you and advise you appropriately, as I said in my previous post you should be doing this before letting the property out anyway.
Apologies and agreed, starting to feel that there might be an underlying problem and that would be the best method to approach.

why a rewire if there's only a simple fault either in back of a socket or in 1 section of cable?

Could the fault be in another socket somewhere throughout the house? As the two sockets that was worked on has had the face plates removed and there doesn’t seem to be any problem with the cables. Burns or overheating etc

Reply to Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net