Discuss Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all,

Today I had an electrician come around a rental property of mine and swap the faces of a few double sockets and light switches, he done this and everything was fine the sockets worked and light switches worked fine, as he was finishing up he was changing the lightbulb as he unscrewed the bulb the electric tripped and now every time I switch the consumer unit on the RCD trips so no power is going to the onsumner unit it is all a very old system and needs upgrading but he seemed stumped and clues less as of what has happened and why this problem had emerged and the property is now left with no lights or sockets, ill attach some photos of the set up, but as I can describe it the mains power goes to a rcd then from the rcd to an very old consumer unit with wire fuse, power is going in and back out of the rcd and into the consumer unit but when the consumer unit is then switched on the rcd trips

In the picture the top white metal box of the consumer unit

The guy I had to do the work is now explaining to me that because the switches are new and pull more power it has caused the cable to heat up and I need a complete re-wire, I just feel that I’m being ripped off.

Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off 15E1445C-13E5-4627-9CB8-8882357A18D9 - EletriciansForums.net

Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off 53A9C9AA-B026-472F-AC86-2F8691C7B2D7 - EletriciansForums.net

he's dropped a bollox with the work he has done.. created a fault where there was none before. suggesting a rewire is rubbish until or unless he's tested the whole installation to see if it's safe. maybe an upgrade to the CU is the way forward, but.i'd get a 2nd opinion before parting with the contents of your wallet.

You should definitely get a full EICR done, an inspection and test of the whole system. I wouldn't be renting that house out with the consumer units and associated equipment in that condition.

Having said that the reason the electrician gave you is bullcrap. Could be as easy to sort as replacing the lamp holder, but you will have a better idea after it is all tested.

What a load of b------ks! Light switches drawing more load causing cables to heat up!!!

Certainly looks like the switch gear needs upgrading but final circuits look like T&E so unlikely a rewire is required!

Probably just grazed a conductor in a socket or switch box with plate screw, causing RCD to trip!

Thank you all for the reply, I certainly agree with all of you and some replies made me laugh, but sadly the problem is still here, update on the situation ...

All the double sockets and light switch face plates was taken off and the new light fitting that was fitted has been taken down, still the electric is not turning on and tripping, there is a lot of work to be going on I’m the next few days and working electric is crucial with tenants moving in the end of the month, agreed the consumer unit needs upgrading but had anyone any idea what the problem is he has caused to try and fix this as he’s standing here doing the same thing over and over replying he hasn’t a c,he why it’s done that and is saying a cable could have burned out somewhere hence why it needs a compete rewrite and consumer unit upgraded

Even without test equipment one could at least isolate individual circuits in an attempt to pin down the circuit that is causing the problem.
If he is saying a rewire is needed in an effort to gain work then you need shot of him.
If he is saying a rewire is needed because he doesn't know how to find and rectify the fault, then he is incompetent and you need shot of him.

He pulled out the fuse for the lighting circuit and tried switching it on and the rcd kept tripping then done the same with the socket circuit and the same again then finally pulled out all fuses and tried switching it on and yet again the rcd tripped again, has anyone here maybe a fix for his as the electric needs to be on tomorrow for some plasterers, I have been trying to do research but have no luck

He pulled out the fuse for the lighting circuit and tried switching it on and the rcd kept tripping then done the same with the socket circuit and the same again then finally pulled out all fuses and tried switching it on and yet again the rcd tripped again, has anyone here maybe a fix for his as the electric needs to be on tomorrow for some plasterers, I have been trying to do research but have no luck

RCDs trip when they sense an imbalance between the line and neutral conductors which are usually balanced. This imbalance is usually to earth.
If the RCD is still tripping with all fuses (line conductor) removed, this would suggest a fault between neutral and earth.
Look again at all the work done by the electrician today and the light fitting that appeared to cause the initial fault.

To catch a neutral with a faceplate screw is not uncommon when replacing accessories if not careful.

Reply to Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock