Discuss Need help connecting a 3way please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

View attachment 59292View attachment 59293View attachment 59294View attachment 59292View attachment 59293View attachment 59294
The first pic is my current set up, i want to use this new switch. Can I do it? which wires need to go where? thank you for your help.
Scott yes you can use that switch but on the side with the three screws is all you need. The wire on the old switch at the top goes to the gold screw on top of your new switch and the wire on the bottom of the old switch goes to the bottom gold screw. The green screw is for your ground wire which you don’t have. Do not use the silver screw on the other side because it only takes a neutral. If I was you I would just go back and buy another switch, I’m not sure why you would need a neutral anyway.

Scott yes you can use that switch but on the side with the three screws is all you need. The wire on the old switch at the top goes to the gold screw on top of your new switch and the wire on the bottom of the old switch goes to the bottom gold screw. The green screw is for your ground wire which you don’t have. Do not use the silver screw on the other side because it only takes a neutral. If I was you I would just go back and buy another switch, I’m not sure why you would need a neutral anyway.
Okay TY. I tried that and it did not seem to work. maybe it's broken.
I bought these switches because I needed a dimmer, and these are also WIFI switches. Got them at Costco for pretty cheap.

Okay TY. I tried that and it did not seem to work. maybe it's broken.
I bought these switches because I needed a dimmer, and these are also WIFI switches. Got them at Costco for pretty cheap.
If it’s a dimmer switch you will need that white neutral on the silver screw and yes you have a ground also which I missed when I first looked. You need to pig tail a neutral For the silver screw and a ground wire for the green screw And it should work

As Megawatt says, you need to add a neutral pigtail from the wirenut to the neutral screw on the switch, in order for its internal electronics to be powered. I would do the same for the ground too.

You will also need to confirm which of the two blacks is the hot supply, as on the old switch it did not matter which was the supply and which the lamp, but it does on the new one because the electronics are powered from the hot supply. Then, also, if I am reading it correctly, the traveler terminal on the other side also needs to be connected to the hot supply, as it is not being used to connect another wifi switch. Check the instructions!

Is it just me that thinks the terminal screws would be really close to the back box?
Yes, this still bugs me. We're used to not being able to touch any live metal on any electrical accessory, the idea of exposed screw heads that could touch something, like the unsleeved ground wires, just seems weird. The first job I did to NEC standards, where I had to specify and purchase thousands of US electrical accessories, I had some samples on my desk that I would pick up and toy with, thinking 'this bit is great, this is a clever idea, but those side-wire screws...'

Last edited:
As Megawatt says, you need to add a neutral pigtail from the wirenut to the neutral screw on the switch, in order for its internal electronics to be powered. I would do the same for the ground too.

You will also need to confirm which of the two blacks is the hot supply, as on the old switch it did not matter which was the supply and which the lamp, but it does on the new one because the electronics are powered from the hot supply. Then, also, if I am reading it correctly, the traveler terminal on the other side also needs to be connected to the hot supply, as it is not being used to connect another wifi switch. Check the instructions!

Yes, this still bugs me. We're used to not being able to touch any live metal on any electrical accessory, the idea of exposed screw heads that could touch something, like the unsleeved ground wires, just seems weird. The first job I did to NEC standards, where I had to specify and purchase thousands of US electrical accessories, I had some samples on my desk that I would pick up and toy with, thinking 'this bit is great, this is a clever idea, but those side-wire screws...'
When I wire the switches and receptacles with the screws on the side I always wrap black tape around the device to avoid a problem
[automerge]1594120000[/automerge]
Hey @Megawatt ,The U.K. here...
How do you get your fingers into them itty bitty little boxes?
Is it just me that thinks the terminal screws would be really close to the back box?
I always wrap tape around the whole device and that metal box is very old and we use plastic boxes now
[automerge]1594120313[/automerge]
Them metal boxes are not allowed no more and that particular box is small and I always wrap black tape around the whole device. We use plastic boxes now

Last edited:
Man I hope that’s ya real name!.....
Baddegg what do you mean by that statement ?
[automerge]1594129343[/automerge]
Yes @ littlespark it is a tight fit but as mistakenly posted 3 times they are not allowed in today’s times. It’s all plastic boxes now

Last edited:
I take it yours is the best?
Nice of you to suggest mate but no there was another fella that really impressed me but I can’t for the life of me remember it now.....I know it was good though! ?...apologies for high jacking ya thread op

Reply to Need help connecting a 3way please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net