Discuss Need help for achieving a fully qualified electrical qualification in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Patrik

-
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

My name is Patrik I am 26 and I live in London and I am an EU citizen. I have enquiries regarding qualifications that I would need to work as an electrician.

I have been looking for employment as an electrician for the past 2 years and I have been struggling, I gathered that I would need a better ECS card, as currently I only have the Ancillary Operative one.

Currently, I completed the BS7671: June 2008 (2015) requirement of electrical installations awarded in 2017 same as the Health and safety assessment. Alongside, I have achieved a qualification in Italy and two years experience working as an electrician.

Currently, my qualification is legally translated by UK Naric as GCE Advanced Level/ Scottish Advanced Higher standard.
However, they mentioned that every subject passed may be considered at least comparable to GCSEs grades A to C.
Additional to that, UK Naric mentions that it may be considered comparable to BTEC Level 3 Diploma / Extended Diploma standard if awarded by technical (Which my school was) or vocational secondary school.

I have been looking for a job for two years as an electrician within London and I am having difficulties. With the qualifications that I have, I was able to find job easily back in Italy however in London is different. With my current qualifications, would you be able to give me advice on any other qualifications that I would need to be able to find a steady job as an electrician (or something related in this field)?

What I gathered is that I need to achieve a NVQ level 3, in order to do that I would need to do City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma, find employment and then apply for the NVQ level 3.

I was looking around on the internet, through all the online sites (Able skills, Training In Elctrical and so on) that offer different courses.

However I see a lot of people on this forum being against this type of courses for one reason or another, mainly for them being "speed up courses", which I can understand but unfortunately not being from the UK I don't know any better, since the educational system in Italy works very differently.

Now my question is, what is the alternative way to achieve this qualifications? College? Apprenticeship (counting that I am 26 already)? Any other options?

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks

College would be the best thing for you for the 2365 level 2 and level 3 and then do your NVQ with XS Training if you already have 2 years site experience

If you have already studied back home and have a decent understanding of electrical principles then I don't see why using a short course will be an issue for someone in your position.

Have you got a copy of the certificate you got from NARIC? because you might not have to do the 2365 if your Italian qualifications are the same as ours.

skip level 2 do level 3 and nvq3/am2. there are training providers that do intensive courses, but don't be sidetracked by the "become an electrician in 5 weeks" brigade, that's just for house bashing.

College would be the best thing for you for the 2365 level 2 and level 3 and then do your NVQ with XS Training if you already have 2 years site experience

If you have already studied back home and have a decent understanding of electrical principles then I don't see why using a short course will be an issue for someone in your position.

Have you got a copy of the certificate you got from NARIC? because you might not have to do the 2365 if your Italian qualifications are the same as ours.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have the original diploma and I have the UK NARIC translated one.
I'll assume my best bet is to call C&G and ask them how does my high school diploma (High School Diploma as Qualified Electrical Technician) compare with the 2365, correct me if I am wrong.

It seems that your problem lies within applying for jobs as an electrician as, and please dont take offence to this you are not an electrician with your current qualifications. A qualified electrician status will be someone who has undertaken the city and guilds 2365 level 2 & 3 and will have passed the AM2 assessment as well as built up their NVQ level 3 portfolio by working onsite undertaking the required work. You may be better off looking for work as an improver via employment agencies while you study at college gaining the required qualifications required to achieve the qualified electrician status. Nearly all employment agencies will require you to have a gold card ECS qualified electrician to work as an electrician.

It seems that your problem lies within applying for jobs as an electrician as, and please dont take offence to this you are not an electrician with your current qualifications. A qualified electrician status will be someone who has undertaken the city and guilds 2365 level 2 & 3 and will have passed the AM2 assessment as well as built up their NVQ level 3 portfolio by working onsite undertaking the required work. You may be better off looking for work as an improver via employment agencies while you study at college gaining the required qualifications required to achieve the qualified electrician status. Nearly all employment agencies will require you to have a gold card ECS qualified electrician to work as an electrician.

Thanks for the reply.
No offence taken, I understand completely what you are trying to say.
My qualifications are not enough in the UK to work as an electrician, but thats mostly because the educational system between Uk and Italy are very different, college doesn't exist in Italy, after high school you go directly to Uni.
And thanks for your advice, I will most certainly keep it in mind.

Sorry just read post #2 again, try and find out what the equivalent qualification you have achieved in Italy relates to in the U.K you may find you wont have to pass certain parts of the city & guilds courses.

Patrik you have experience in this field albeit in another country so try applying to the employment agencies as an electrical improver if you have the ECS card it will be the ancillary operative grade but that is all that is required to get onsite as an improver.

Reply to Need help for achieving a fully qualified electrical qualification in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net