Discuss Need help, setting horstmann economy 7 - it's just not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

X

Xto

Hi guys,

First thank you for reading and helping out.

Ok I got the above water timer, since last week it's just doesn't seem to be working.

First off i set the time as per current time, i set the time as "summer." but it just doesn't seem to heating up the water and importantly it doesn't seem to maintain the hot water throughout the day.

What am I doing wrong?
the timer dial is set to current time based on 24 hr clock, there are two groves between the times of 24to3am and 5am to 8am. But it only clicks when the from 5 am.

How do iI set it to heat up as before, through out the day?
whennthe water timer light goes red does this mean water is heating up? ( non boost light)
-
All help will be apperciated

The ON time is set from inside and should be for a couple of hours around 4 /5/ 6 am, then OFF before 07.30, or whatever your local E7 time finishes.

To use it in the day you need to turn the Boost, but it's for the length of time indicated only.
If you need hot water all day you will have to keep resetting the boost timer.

The Timed (non boost) red indicator will show when the timeswitch is active and heater is ON, assuming the ON / TIMED switch is set to TIMED.

It may be that the immersion heater has failed or the over temperature thermostat has tripped.

Thanks snow head gor your input. Is there a way to maintain the temperature ? As said there are two groves but the water timer red light only comes on when the summer time mark between 5 and 8 and nothing happens during 24 hr and 3 am

The timer is designed to use E7 overnight, with additional boost in the day if needed.
Not to be on all day.
Unless you need water between 24 and 3, there's no point having it set for then, On at 05.00 and OFF at 08.00 is O.K.
The tank will only take about an hour to warm up if it's normal sized.

Did this previously work and has suddenly stopped, or has something else changed, have you had a new meter fitted recently?

Was working perfect and now it's just stopped. I have to manually move the dial around to get the red timer light on to warm up water.

It seems to move in time correctly and the timer water lights up. It doesn't seem to heat up a lot of water and the hot water is not kept hot.

The timer you have in pace at the moment is specifically designed only to work whilst there is cheap rate electricity overnight on economy seven.
The likely time it would be on are somewhere in the region of 01:00 to 07:00, though there are two different settings on the timer for the first time E7 is on (23:00 to 24:00 ish) and the last time E7 is on (02:00 - 07:00 ish) , the times vary with region and supplier.

Your timer may be set not to come on for the first period and only come on for the second period, this would however mean it was heating for three hours which should be enough to heat the water in the tank sufficiently for the morning.

If you are finding that the heater is working as above but it is not keeping the water warm enough during the day then either you have a poorly insulated tank, or the heater element has failed, or you are having a bath in the morning and draining all the heated water from the tank and leaving nothing for later in the day.

Because the heater is not designed to heat the water during the day the only way to keep the water hot automatically is to buy a suitable immersion heater timer and set it to heat the water when you want it to do so.
However if you run the immersion during the day and are on economy seven then you will find it expensive.

Guys really need to get hot water going, pls can you advise I'm gona manually change dial time to trigger timed emmersion. Pls advise what hours does the water hear up in?

These are the installation instructions for the timer
View attachment E7Q-InstallationInstructions.pdf

If you read the "adjusting the off peak time period" section at the end and adjust the rotary dials inside to be on to the maximum you will find that you are paying a lot for the electricity use but you may be able to get enough hot water.

Remember that you cannot get this timer to operate all day.
And if your immersion heater element is gone then this will not work.

Richard thanks. It seems only the top heating element is working. I'm constantly hourly doing the boost. I can't seem to trigger the heating by designated time grooves

In that case if the timer is showing a red light when the lower immersion should be working but you are not getting heat, then either there is a loose connection to the immersion heater element or, the immersion heater element has burnt out and needs replacing.

Hi,
We have a Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz which has recently stopped working altogether, after a period where the only way to make it work was using the Boost option.
I noticed that @snowhead above was asking earlier whether a new meter had recently been fitted. In our case, the answer is yes, we had a smart meter fitted around 6-8 weeks ago. All seemed to be well for a while but we first noticed the lack of hot water about 2 weeks ago. Using the Boost worked for a while but now that doesn't seem to working either.
Any help or suggestions appreciated !

Hi, I have the similar issue, I have a Horstmann E7 2 hours but I do not have a E7 electric meter. how do I make the switch to make hot water in the evening not in the morning?

Reply to Need help, setting horstmann economy 7 - it's just not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock