Discuss Need help with identifying circuit for socket (newbie) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gareth Luck

hi all

Apologies that this sounds stupid to most. I'm not a qualified electrician, just a diy'er with an interest in electronics.

I'm renovating my kitchen at present, I just removed a double socket with the plan of re-locating it. However i cant work this one out, despite reading my 'Collins Complete DIY' book and searching online lol

When i removed the socket i disconnected all cables. It was fed via 2 2.5mm cables, one coming in vertically, the other looking like it goes out horizontally towards the other double socket on the same wall. However even when disconnected and taped off, all other sockets still work in the kitchen? I thought this would be part of a ring main? Can it be a spur with 2 cables?

This is a quick birdseye 'diagram' of the kitchen and a close up drawing of how the socket is fed.

Kitchen.jpg

Thankfully the bother in law is a qualified and registered electrician so he's doing most with my eager eyes watching. Unfortunately he's not around right now and my mind is playing havoc with trying to work it out!

cheers for any help in advance

it's a ring circuit. you have split the ring, and now some of the sockets are fed by 1 leg, and the rest by the other leg. in effect, you have now got 2 radials, but still 1 circuit as they are fed from the same breaker/fuse. having said that, i advise you to stick it back how it was and wait for your sparks to sort it. make sure to turn the main switch in the CU off before doing anything.

Here we go, you obviously have no understanding of RFC, ring mains can be very complicated lol please be careful leave it to an expert

Garteh it still works because you have just made 2 radial circuits that are now being protected (or rather not) by a MCB that is far too big for them! I'm not the most experianced of chaps, but I really think you should get an electrician in.

Get ready for some far more blunt remarks..

it's a ring circuit. you have split the ring, and now some of the sockets are fed by 1 leg, and the rest by the other leg. in effect, you have now got 2 radials, but still 1 circuit as they are fed from the same breaker/fuse. having said that, i advise you to stick it back how it was and wait for your sparks to sort it. make sure to turn the main switch in the CU off before doing anything.

ah. i see now. Is there any issue with leaving it the way it is for a couple of days, i assume this doesnt affect anything? Brothers not around til weekend.

best solution would be to join the cables together, so you willl then have reinstated the ring. red to red etc.

As above, you really should connect them back together as you have split your ring in two (arf arf) and the protective device is now most likely over rated.
Still it is a shame you can't ask without being pounced on.

what was newcastle brown called before harmonisation. i can't remember drinking newcastle red.

i do remember my first ever pint of broon was 2/7d.

what was newcastle brown called before harmonisation. i can't remember drinking newcastle red.

i do remember my first ever pint of broon was 2/7d.

Amber ale (for the women)

But funnily enough it was called before harmonisation,, wait for it,,,,, Newcastle Brown Ale.

Reply to Need help with identifying circuit for socket (newbie) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net