Discuss Need Help With Scissor Lift in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an older scissor lift that uses four 6 volt rechargeable batteries that are tied together. My scissor lift has an onboard charger that I plug up to 120 volts ac in order to charge the batteries. The scissor lift does not get used a whole lot, but there definitely are various times that I need to use it at my shop. The batteries are expensive to buy and I just don't get enough use out of them to justify the cost each time I need to replace them. Is there a converter that I could get and wire up to my scissor lift that would convert 120 volts ac to 24 volts dc? If this is possible, I could just keep the lift plugged up while I am using it. And, if the batteries are needed for stability, I could just leave the old batteries in place. Please let me know if this is possible and where I can get the converter. Thanks for your help.

Larry

im not sure of a correct answer for you as this is not my field of expertise but my guess is yes you will defiantly be able to get a transformer on the www
for sure ,the problem would be the charging circuit on most machines does not allow you to use the machine when it is plugged in ,so you put 110 volt on it it will not operate

Welcome to the forum mate.
Theoretically you should be able to bypass the batteries with a 24V power supply. You would need to know what size power supply to get.
How many amps does the lift require at 24V?
You being in the US, there may be local regs that prohibit you from messing with the lift though.

Hi,
I have an older scissor lift that uses four 6 volt rechargeable batteries that are tied together. My scissor lift has an onboard charger that I plug up to 120 volts ac in order to charge the batteries. The scissor lift does not get used a whole lot, but there definitely are various times that I need to use it at my shop. The batteries are expensive to buy and I just don't get enough use out of them to justify the cost each time I need to replace them. Is there a converter that I could get and wire up to my scissor lift that would convert 120 volts ac to 24 volts dc? If this is possible, I could just keep the lift plugged up while I am using it. And, if the batteries are needed for stability, I could just leave the old batteries in place. Please let me know if this is possible and where I can get the converter. Thanks for your help.

Larry
Larry I’m pretty sure that the lift won’t work if something is plugged in it. It’s a safety feature

Larry I’m pretty sure that the lift won’t work if something is plugged in it. It’s a safety feature
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. My scissor lift is an older one. It will operate while the onboard charger is plugged in. I'm not sure if that means it would operate while a converter is plugged in or not. Thanks

should be OK till you run over the cable and find yourself stranded 20ft. up in the air. :):):)

im not sure of a correct answer for you as this is not my field of expertise but my guess is yes you will defiantly be able to get a transformer on the www
for sure ,the problem would be the charging circuit on most machines does not allow you to use the machine when it is plugged in ,so you put 110 volt on it it will not operate
Thank you for your reply. That is something that I'm not sure about. The lift will operate while the onboard charger is plugged up to 120 volts ac, but I don't know if it would operate while plugged up to a converter.
[automerge]1567432936[/automerge]
should be OK till you run over the cable and find yourself stranded 20ft. up in the air. :):):)
Most of the time, I wouldn't be driving it while up in the air. I usually keep it stationary and just go up and down with it.
[automerge]1567433222[/automerge]
Welcome to the forum mate.
Theoretically you should be able to bypass the batteries with a 24V power supply. You would need to know what size power supply to get.
How many amps does the lift require at 24V?
You being in the US, there may be local regs that prohibit you from messing with the lift though.
Thank you, mate. I'm not sure how many amps that the lift uses, but I will find out. I'm hoping that a converter would work so that I don't have to keep spending over $500.00 for batteries and only use the lift a few times. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
Maybe worth considering keeping the batteries on a battery conditioner during the long periods where they aren't being used.

Reply to Need Help With Scissor Lift in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock