Discuss Need Help With Subpanel Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

00coyote

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m a DIYer installing a subpanel on the far side of my house for a pool pump and light. The subpanel will have a 15-amp 240V breaker for the pump and a 15-amp 115V breaker for the light. The line from the main to the subpanel will be run in the attic and the total distance is approximately 120 feet. What type of wire and gauge should I use? Something like 10/4 multi-strand or should I run separate single strand wires?

Hello,

I’m a DIYer installing a subpanel on the far side of my house for a pool pump and light. The subpanel will have a 15-amp 240V breaker for the pump and a 15-amp 115V breaker for the light. The line from the main to the subpanel will be run in the attic and the total distance is approximately 120 feet. What type of wire and gauge should I use? Something like 10/4 multi-strand or should I run separate single strand wires?
OOCoyote welcome to the forum and since you are a DIY I think you need to hire a licensed electrician. So many things could go wrong. First off we would need at least a look at your main panel like a picture. If there is space left in your main panel you won’t need a sub panel. Please do not attempt this yourself, it is dangerous and running wire through your attic also could cause a fire

OOCoyote welcome to the forum and since you are a DIY I think you need to hire a licensed electrician. So many things could go wrong. First off we would need at least a look at your main panel like a picture. If there is space left in your main panel you won’t need a sub panel. Please do not attempt this yourself, it is dangerous and running wire through your attic also could cause a fire

Megawatt, thanks for your concern, but I am familiar with electrical projects. Perhaps I should have been more clear. I'm rewiring an existing subpanel. The pool company electrician installed the power in conduit in a trench around the house. After a few years the weather corroded the conduit and wire creating a short. Complicating the issue is the fact that concrete has been poured over the conduit in a couple of places making replacement of the existing routing impossible.

All I am doing is rewiring an existing system. I did call an electrician. He saw no problem with the planned routing of the wire, he just wanted way too much money. I believe he quoted approximately 20 hours for something that I can do in maybe 5. Add to that his mark-up on the materials and it's cost prohibitive. I have completed similar projects many times before. I was simply asking for an expert to give me advice on the wire type and size so that the end product will meet applicable codes.

Thanks and I share your regard for safety.

Megawatt, thanks for your concern, but I am familiar with electrical projects. Perhaps I should have been more clear. I'm rewiring an existing subpanel. The pool company electrician installed the power in conduit in a trench around the house. After a few years the weather corroded the conduit and wire creating a short. Complicating the issue is the fact that concrete has been poured over the conduit in a couple of places making replacement of the existing routing impossible.

All I am doing is rewiring an existing system. I did call an electrician. He saw no problem with the planned routing of the wire, he just wanted way too much money. I believe he quoted approximately 20 hours for something that I can do in maybe 5. Add to that his mark-up on the materials and it's cost prohibitive. I have completed similar projects many times before. I was simply asking for an expert to give me advice on the wire type and size so that the end product will meet applicable codes.

Thanks and I share your regard for safety.
On this forum I am not allowed to advise you on how to do electrical work if you are not even a practicing electrician. Sorry I can’t help you

Reply to Need Help With Subpanel Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock