Discuss Need help with wiring a celing fan in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi - Please make sure you’ve turned off the power to that circuit (if you’ve a tester) or the whole house if you’re doing a “best guess”. I think the dark grey cable probably goes to the smoke alarm, then the cable with black sleeved red goes to the light switch and the other is the incoming feed. Hope that helps :) .

red,red and brown into a choc block. black and blue into N for fan. black with red sleeve into fan L. all earths together into E. earth flylead tagged onto fan body tag.

Advice for next time:
Take a photo of connections of the old fitting before you take it down. Note which ones go to either side of the lamp itself.
That's a switchwire, and a nuatral. All the green and yellows are earths. Anything left is a permanent live and will hurt if touched, even with the switch off.

Follow Wilkos advice on isolation and Telectrix on connection

i can see a smoke detector near the new light and the omanisation of the colours brown and blue , if the op does not get write he could be black and blue .i agree with the lads if you are out of your comfort zone pick uk the phone.

Sorry for late reply just got back from work. It was rose wiring but the extra grey flattish wire was connected also which i think is the smoke alarm. Now from the instructions it makes no sense to me.

Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121940 - EletriciansForums.net Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121910 - EletriciansForums.net Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121838 - EletriciansForums.net Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121816 - EletriciansForums.net Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121756 - EletriciansForums.net Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121615 - EletriciansForums.net

This is what it was

Need help with wiring a celing fan Screenshot_20190916-132143_Samsung Internet - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1568636623[/automerge]

[automerge]1568636656[/automerge]

[automerge]1568636751[/automerge]
I was half asleep earlier. Iv tried wiring it but probably done it wrong. I am a fast learner but i need to learn

Attachments

• Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121940 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190916_121940.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121910 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190916_121910.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121838 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190916_121838.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121816 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190916_121816.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121756 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190916_121756.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Need help with wiring a celing fan 20190916_121615 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190916_121615.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
read post #4 and start over. those reds should not connect to the fan terminals.

Well that is confusing. There are 2 switchwires in the fitting... one for fan, one for light... but they only give one L terminal.

Suggesting you put both into L....
or you could have light through the switch and fan on perm live... controlled via the fittings pull switch.

Also make sure you have a good fixing into a wood joist. Those things are heavy.... plasterboard fixings won’t hold it for long.

Re your last photo.
No.... replace the bare connector from the ceiling rose with an insulated block terminal or a WAGO. That will go live, touch the metal fan base and trip a breaker, or worse!

Please ask an electrician now

Well that is confusing. There are 2 switchwires in the fitting... one for fan, one for light... but they only give one L terminal.

Suggesting you put both into L....
or you could have light through the switch and fan on perm live... controlled via the fittings pull switch.

Also make sure you have a good fixing into a wood joist. Those things are heavy.... plasterboard fixings won’t hold it for long.

Re your last photo.
No.... replace the bare connector from the ceiling rose with an insulated block terminal or a WAGO. That will go live, touch the metal fan base and trip a breaker, or worse!

Please ask an electrician now
That block is just temporary. In the room there is a light switch with 3 switches. 1 for the conservatory 1 for the room and the other i cant remember... maybe outside. Its a new home. Also there is a smoke alarm im sure its that big grey cable connecting to it.

I think you would be wise getting an electrician in. Full marks for trying, but I think this is probably out if your depth. No offence intended - I'm all for people doing things theirselves.

Last edited:
if you’re following instructions from post #4, then you’re on the right track. The brown and blue in the grey cable are new colours replacing the red and black of the original house wiring. The smoke detector requires a permanent live and neutral.
The black with red tape is the switchwire (live when switch is on)
Everything else is either permanent live, neutral or earth.
Please replace that bare copper terminal... I’m having heart palpitations!

first make sure circuit is isolated. if necessary switch the whole board off. the 2 reds and the brown to the smoke go in a single connector with nothing else connected to them. the black with red sleeve goes to fan L. the blue and plain black go to fan N. then just the earths.

Reply to Need help with wiring a celing fan in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock